Nigger : An Autobiography by Dick Gregory

Nigger : An Autobiography (1964)

by Dick Gregory

Dick Gregory, born 1932 in St. Louis, single mother.

This is an autobiography of a starved track star, smoking nutritionist, spontaneous "current events" commentator, devoted family man and night playboy club show empresario, satiric civil rights leader, and supreme ironist.

His mother (Lucille 1904-1953 [photo in book] died before Gregory became successful as a comedian/publisher. But he addresses his maternal ancestors in the book - telling "Momma" that someday "there won't be any niggers any more", and "whenever you hear the word, remember, they're just advertising my book".

"Good evening ladies and gentlemen. I understand there are a good many Southerners in the room tonight. I know the South very well. I spent twenty years there one night....
It's dangerous for me to go back. You see, when I drink, I think I'm Polish. One night I got so drunk I moved out of my own neighborhood...
Last time I was down South I walked into this restaurant, and this white waitress came up to me and said 'We don't serve colored people here'.
I said 'That's all right. I don't eat colored peole. Bring me a whole fried chicken.'
About that time these three cousins come in, you know the ones I mean, Klu, Kluck, and LKlan, and they say 'Bory, we're givin' you fair warnin'. Anything you do to that chicken, we're gonna do to you.' About then the waitress brought me my chicken. 'Remember, boy, anything you do to that chicken, we're gonna do to you.' So I put down my knife and fork, and I picked up that chicken, and I kissed it". [144]

Note: Up from Nigger. ( )
  keylawk | Jan 7, 2014 |
A must read without question ( )
  a1abwriter | Sep 25, 2012 |
The title stopped me, and the synopsis melted my heart. Truely an example of how a positive attitude is key to surviving all manner of atrocities ( )
  MsNikki | Jul 31, 2007 |

African-American comedian and political activist Dick Gregory tells his life story up to 1963, describing his poor childhood in St. Louis, Missouri; his rise to fame as a comedian; and his participation in the fight for racial equality, including his arrests.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,788,696 books! | Top bar: Always visible