Picnic, Lightning (Pitt Poetry Series) (1998)

by Billy Collins

Winner of the 1999 Paterson Poetry Prize Over the past decade, Billy Collins has emerged as the most beloved American poet since Robert Frost, garnering critical acclaim and broad popular appeal. Annie Proulx admits, "I have never before felt possessive about a poet, but I am fiercely glad that Billy Collins is ours." John Updike proclaims his poems "consistently startling, more serious than they seem, they describe all the worlds that are and were and some others besides." This special, limited edition celebrates Billy Collins's years as U.S. Poet Laureate. Picnic, Lightning--one of the books that helped establish and secure his reputation and popularity during the 1990s--combines humor and seriousness, wit and sublimity. His poems touch on a wide range of subjects, from jazz to death, from weather to sex, but share common ground where the mind and heart can meet. Whether reading him for the first time or the fiftieth, this collector's edition is a must-have for anyone interested in the poet the New York Times calls simply "the real thing."… (more)

contemporary poet's take on daily life
  Renaissancereader | Sep 6, 2021 |
Like lightning, brilliant in unexpected flashes. ( )
  wildh2o | Jul 10, 2021 |
Nice but simple poetry. He uses language in funny ways. First book of poetry I've ever really read all the way through, but I want to continue reading poetry.
  benpgel | Apr 11, 2020 |
[b: Picnic, Lightning|137110|Picnic, Lightning|Billy Collins|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1348574773s/137110.jpg|132141] is a collection of poetry by the two time Poet Laureate [a: Billy Collins|438|Billy Collins|https://images.gr-assets.com/authors/1385150456p2/438.jpg]. This book came highly recommended to me by my dear friend Carolyn, as indeed did all of the poetry books that have lately been filling my GoodReads shelves. This one in particular she said she had a feeling I'd like, and indeed I fell for it from the first the moment she explained the title to me. How was I to know the very contents of the book would not only live up to the intrigue of the title, but in many ways surpass it?

[a: Billy Collins|438|Billy Collins|https://images.gr-assets.com/authors/1385150456p2/438.jpg] has a wonderful poetic voice. His poetic power lies in the observation, which I'm fast discovering is just the sort of poetry I love. The wonder that is found in the every day, and the way the ordinary becomes extraordinary by virtue of a small shift in the way we look at things. The contents are delightful, amusing, and often just a bit surprising. They're something to be cherished, and something I'm sure I'll carry with me for some time.

I can't recommend this book of poetry enough. It's won a spot on my favorites shelf for the way it delighted me. ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
I can hardly speak. ( )
  redrabbit | Nov 25, 2014 |

Belongs to Publisher Series

To the memory of Katherine Collins (1901-1997)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,221,764 books! | Top bar: Always visible