The Luck Factor: The Scientific Study of the…

The Luck Factor: The Scientific Study of the Lucky Mind (2003)

by Richard Wiseman

Why do some people lead happy successful lives whilst others face repeated failure and sadness? Why do some find their perfect partner whilst others stagger from one broken relationship to the next? The author identifies four main factors which explained living a lucky and unlucky life.

If you want to know the different between lucky people and unlucky people in a scientific, survey backing way, this book is for you.

No bullshit. No woo woo theory. No lie about universe care about you as the universe really doesn't give a flying fuck if you live or die.

This book analyze the main different between lucky and unlucky persons. How they think, how their expectation that guide their behavior to bring good fortune for themselves.

I'm on the chapter that unlucky people rarely learned from their past mistakes. Also, unlucky people are more superstitious than lucky people. That make a whole of sense.

The part on approaching problem. Lucky people will stay on long to try longer because they expect to be successful eventually. Also, they approach problem in a more creative manner that make them think outside of the box, while unlucky people tend to give up too easily.

The best bit is how the book might help you. He updated the materials and added the part that he set up a luck schools and asked unlucky persons to participate and see if it could increase their luck. A few weeks later, the unlucky persons reported back that the program made them luckier. The success rate is around 80%. Also, the program spin off to help lucky persons become even luckier. So there is a big chance that it could help anyone who is unlucky in love, in finance, in work, in life to improve their luck.

That's really helpful. Highly recommended it.

Good luck. ( )
  XOX | Jun 26, 2012 |
I'm thinking the sub-heading should have been "...Or, Duh." It's not so much about luck as keeping a positive outlook. It reminded me rather a lot of "The Power of Positive Thinking" by Norman Vincent Peale. I suppose if one were utterly un-self-aware, this might shine some light, but it mostly irked me. He never even addresses that the REAL luck in one's life is into what world one is born. Being born a middle class white person in America is a far luckier stroke than being born low-caste in Pakistan. Most of what he calls "luck" is actually "making good choices." And, like most self-help books, it was about 20 pages of idea stretched out to book. Meh. ( )
  mazeway | Jul 25, 2011 |
Most people think luck is just random, but the premise of this book is that there are actually behaviors that can increase your luck. He didn't just come up with this on his own--he actually conducted experiments and studies that are detailed in the book. From this he has developed four principles of luck and he explains how they create luck and how the reader can develop these qualities in his or her own life. The principles make a lot of sense when you look at them, and the true life stories really show how people's attitudes, thought patterns, and behavior can affect their luck. Give it a read, you just might be on your way to experiencing more luck in your own life! ( )
  debs4jc | Oct 25, 2010 |
This is the third Richard Wiseman book I've read this year, and I think I'm upto date with all his published work! But as popular psychology it's really enjoyable to read, and you feel like you are learning something as well.

The basic premise of the book is that everyone can be lucky - it's just a state of mind. Wiseman presents scientific studies to support his ideas about how we can be lucky.

He puts forward the idea that there are four principles to luck -

1. Maximise your chance opportunities
2. Listen to your lucky hunches
3. Expect good fortune
4. Turn your bad luck into good

Each one is explained with examples, and then in the next part of the book he gives practical ways of increasing your luck, in fact throughout the book you are encouraged to take part in tests and tasks.

I've always considered myself to be lucky, but I truly do think that some of the ideas in this book will help me increase my luck.

In fact it's already had an affect. Whilst sitting on a train to Manchester reading about 'maximising your chance opportunities' I looked up and noticed that the woman sat opposite me was familiar. More than familiar I realised that although I didn't know her personally I did know that she was an archaeology lecturer at a local university. Within minutes we were talking, and was telling her about my photography business, before we parted when I got off the train she asked me to email details of my website and she would forward them to all the staff in the department - result!!

The other main idea from the book that will stay with me is the notion of 'turning bad luck into good'. This is about perception, believing that what at first appears to be bad luck will probably turn out to be good luck. In my case this is things like being made redundant (both times have actually ended up being the best thing that ever happened!) and my parents dying so young and so close together (obviously terrible, but also had some very positive outcomes for me).

As with Richard Wiseman's other books I would certainly recommend this one - as you can see, I'm becoming a bit of a fan of his!

Bought on Green Metropolis
10th - 24th December 2009
  Ms.Moll | Jan 5, 2010 |
Research study published as book The Luck Factor: The Scientific Study of the Lucky Mind by Richard Wiseman, looks at elusive luck factor by investigating the actual beliefs and experiences of lucky and unlucky people. Looking at the results, Wiseman was able to identify four main factors which explained living a lucky and unlucky life.

more @ http://toogood2read.blogspot.com/2007/01/luck-factor-scientific-study-of-lucky.h... ( )
1 vote iamyuva | Feb 9, 2007 |
If an unlucky man sold umbrellas, it would stop raining; if he sold candles, the sun would never set; and if he made coffins, people would stop dying.

Yiddish saying
Throw a lucky man in the sea and he will come up with a fish in his mouth.

Arab proverb
To Caroline
Lucky people meet their perfect partners, achieve their lifelong ambitions, find fulfilling careers, and live happy and meaningful lives. (Introduction)
Luck exerts a dramatic influence over our lives.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,623,400 books! | Top bar: Always visible