Naughts & Crosses by Malorie Blackman

Naughts & Crosses (2001)

by Malorie Blackman

English (52)  German (1)  All languages (53)
SPOILERS BELOW*****

I was going to give this book 2 stars because The first half of this book was incredibly difficult to get into due to the characters being so single minded and not a lot happening. The premise was slightly interesting, and got better in the latter half to the point where I bumped up the rating.

The second half really showed us things heating up, beginning with Lynnette's death and the bombing of the shopping center. Sephy annoyed me to no end for about 95% of the book and Callum annoyed me for a good chunk of it, but grew on me towards the end. Both were idealistic (more so Sephy) and both made incredibly reckless decisions that resulted in their ultimate fates being what they were. Though Callum's final scene pulled on my heartstrings quite a bit and I found myself hoping right up until the noose was around his neck that someone would save him.

While overall I thought this book was just okay, I think it deserves commendations for not allowing everything to turn out perfectly and allowing main characters to die. ( )
  Moore31 | Feb 25, 2018 |
SPOILERS BELOW*****

Moore31 | Feb 25, 2018 |
I'm teaching some classes about this book and it was fairly enjoyable, although there are a few things that I find completely ridiculous.... like Crossmass. ( )
  Heldin | Oct 15, 2017 |
Knew it was a YA children's book, but for some reason expected more. Genuinely awful: shrill 2D characters, cringe-worthy dialogue, melodramatic plot which veers from one emotional inconsistency to another.

The premise is interesting at first, but this book is about as good an exploration of racism as the song "Ebony and Ivory". ( )
  sometimeunderwater | Dec 26, 2016 |
Sephy and Callum are childhood friends in a world where the population is divided into crosses and noughts and the institutional racism and intolerance upholding the divide are deeply embedded into everything. Still both try to change the world in the ways available to them so they could always be friends, even if they don't often hold much hope of succeeding. I enjoyed it. ( )
  mari_reads | Nov 7, 2016 |
There are flaws. The white family sounds like a black one. The novel is told in alternate voices, with stretches of dialogue that make it seem more like a screenplay than a novel, and the characters are archetypes rather than particular, individuated people. In the end, it doesn't matter, because the story is so gripping and the world of Pangea so nightmarishly vivid.
added by Katya0133 | editNew Statesman, Amanda Craig

'That's just the way it is. Some things will never change. That's just the way it is. But don't you believe them.' - Bruce Hornsby and the Range
'That's just the way it is.
Some things will never change.
That's just the way it is.
But don't you believe them.'
Bruce Hornsby and the Range
This book is dedicated with love to my husband, Neil, And to our daughter, Elizabeth.
'Honestly, Mrs Hadley,' said Meggie McGregor, wiping her eyes.
'Honestly, Mrs Hadley,' said Meggie McGregor, wiping her eyes. 'That sense of humour of yours will be he death of me yet!'
Noughts & Crosses was published as Naughts & Crosses in the US. Please do not use the canonical title field to force one version over the other.

Two young people are forced to make a stand in this thought-provoking look at racism and prejudice in an alternate society.

Sephy is a Cross -- a member of the dark-skinned ruling class. Callum is a Nought -- a “colourless” member of the underclass who were once slaves to the Crosses. The two have been friends since early childhood, but that’s as far as it can go. In their world, Noughts and Crosses simply don’t mix. Against a background of prejudice and distrust, intensely highlighted by violent terrorist activity, a romance builds between Sephy and Callum -- a romance that is to lead both of them into terrible danger. Can they possibly find a way to be together?

In this gripping, stimulating and totally absorbing novel, black and white are right and wrong.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:00 -0400)

In a world where the pale-skinned Noughts are discriminated against by the politically and socially powerful dark-skinned Crosses, teenagers Callum--a Nought--and Sephy--a Cross--test whether their love is strong enough to survive their society's racism.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,801,800 books! | Top bar: Always visible