So B. It (2004)

by Sarah Weeks

2,011906,528 (4.11)1 / 53
After spending her life with her mentally retarded mother and agoraphobic neighbor, twelve-year-old Heidi sets out from Reno, Nevada, to New York to find out who she is.
    What I Call Life by Jill Wolfson (beyondthefourthwall)
    beyondthefourthwall: Determined young women with disabled single mothers, both dealing with unusual living situations and whole circles of secrets.
    Me, the Missing, and the Dead by Jenny Valentine (weener)
    My Louisiana Sky by Kimberly Willis Holt (HollyMS)

Kid's book that we listened to in the car. Sweet story about a 12 year old girl named Heidi and her very unconventional family: Her mama who has a "bum brain" and a total of 18 words in her vocabulary and Bernie (Bernadette) her agoraphobic next door neighbor. Told from Heidi's point of view, the story is a touching coming of age tale and a search for identity. Prior to age 12, Heidi doesn't think much about her unusual set-up and she naturally does things that are a bit beyond most kids her age: grocery shop, laundrymat, etc. She is home-schooled by Bernie with lots of help from the library, but her world is so insular, she doesn't think twice about it. However, when Heidi finds a roll of undeveloped film in a camera stuffed at the back of a drawer and then views the pictures of her mother and a location she has no knowledge of, coupled with the mysterious word "souf" that is one of her Mother's few known words, Heidi goes on a physical journey across the country and a figurative one of self-discovery. The author handles very complex controversial issues with kid gloves so the result is a heartwarming story of love and realization. ( )
  CarrieWuj | Oct 24, 2020 |
??? I didnt get this book at all. ( )
  Absolution13 | Oct 6, 2020 |
Heidi learns the secrets of her mother's past and comes to understand why she has trouble speaking.
  dneirick | May 7, 2019 |
Twelve year old Heidi It goes on a long journey across the country in order to find out who she is. Her mother cannot help her, she is mentally ill, and the woman who raised her is agoraphobic and cannot leave her apartment. In this coming of age book, readers of all ages can understand the importance of knowing who you are and not giving up. The intended audience for this book is middle school age students, In the classroom, this book can be used to teach about special populations like people with mental illnesses, such as the mentally disabled and people who suffer from phobias. ( )
  lauraedavis | Feb 4, 2019 |
I was intrigued by this book. Heidi knows very little about who she is. What she knows is that she showed up at Bernadette's house with her mother when she was only days old. Bernadette has agoraphobia, fear of leaving the house, but she has somehow managed to take care of both Heidi and her mother for 13 years.The intriguing part is that her mother is extremely mentally handicapped and can only speak 23 words. When she is asked her name she says "so be it," one of her 23 words or phrases. Heidi changes it to So B. It, so it looks like a proper name.

Despite her handicap, Heidi loves her mom and helps Bernadette take care of her. She just wishes she knew more about her. She gets a clue when she finds a roll of film and decides to get it developed. The pictures give clues about a town, a hospital and a possible grandmother. Despite Bernadette's objection, Heidi decides that she is going to travel across the country by bus to Liberty, NY. When she finally gets there, she will get her answers, but she'll have to decide if knowing the answers really makes a difference.

I loved Heidi's and Bernadette's characters. Heidi is so sweet to love her mom and appreciate all that Bernadette has done. She is a thinker, and keeps a journal. She's always trying to understand people and what makes them tick. One of her big entries is her analysis of lying. Why we do it and whether it's ok. Bernadette is a sweet lady who will do anything for Heidi and her mom. She treats them like family. She is full of wisdom, and I love stories where the underdog has more common sense than anyone else. ( )
  valorrmac | May 15, 2018 |

Sarah Weeksprimary authorall editionscalculated
Jakobeit, BrigitteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To David-

who's taught me so much about both

knowing and not knowing.

With love

-S.W

If truth was a crayon and it was up to me to put a wrapper around it and name its color, I know just what I would call it - dinosaur skin. I used to think, without really thinking about it, that I knew what color that was. But that was a long time ago, before I knew what I know now about both dinosaur skin and the truth.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 169,957,630 books! | Top bar: Always visible