Katie Lapp's identity had been shattered the moment she found the satin baby dress in the attic of her parents Amish home. Painfully torn from her close-knit community in the frightening ordeal called the shunning, Katie - now Katherine Mayfield - sets out to find the ailing birth mother she has never known. Her journey takes her to the peaceful home of Lydia Miller, where electric lights and telephones sets Katherine's mind whirling with "fancy" things, and on to the elaborate Bennett estate in the Finger Lakes region of New York. There she stumbles into a world of compassion and greed, mercy and betrayal - where the plain garb of the Amish is misused to disguise an evil conspiracy. Unknown to Katherine, her first love, Daniel, is taking appropriate steps to return to his Amish family - and to her. But their worlds may have drifted too far apart to bridge... Shunned from her home and alone in a world of strangers, Katherine Mayfield longs only for the gentle, loving embrace of the woman she hopes to call Mother.… (more)

Katie has left her Amish life, searching for her birth mother, and, really, for herself. She knows she could not make herself fit into the role of a proper Amish housewife, but that doesn’t erase the love she still has for her Amish family and friends. She does find her birth mother, but obstacles are strewn in her path and Katie, now Katherine, must eliminate them. There is sadness to come, for her and for all of her family, but also hope for the future and a pending surprise that likely will bring both joy and uncertainty. These characters will endear themselves to the reader, and this second book works well to bridge the story from its introduction to its conclusion. ( )
  Maydacat | Nov 15, 2019 |
Oh my goodness, so excellent. 2nd in the series (after The Shunning) & so engrossing I read it in 2 nites. Need to re-read some tonight; stayed awake so long last nite I could hardly see, & want to 1) make sure I didn't miss anything & 2) savor. Girl has been shunned, now goes off to find her (dying) birth mother. Finds her, finds an imposter/daughter, gets it all untangled. Back in Amish country her mom/family are sick without her, & back further, turns out dead boyfriend is not dead, & is, in fact, coming back. So can't wait to read #3, The Reckoning. -- One of the best Amish books I've read. One part that turned me off is a bit of proselytizing, "do you know Jesus died for you", just you, etc. But overall an excellent, excellent, read. Love it. ( )
  JeanetteSkwor | Aug 2, 2017 |
love this book ( )
  KimSalyers | Oct 1, 2016 |
I found this one to be a bit more interesting than the first. I can't wait for the last one!! Finally I'll get to the love story :) ( )
  LenaR0307 | May 30, 2016 |
Good continuation of first book

This book is the 2nd of the Trilogy, continuing the story started in the Shunning. Though I found both quick, easy reads, I found the first ( )
  Time2Read2 | Mar 31, 2013 |
One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.
--Helen Keller
I remember everything about my first glimpse of Cousin Lydia's kitchen.

Bethany House

2 editions of this book were published by Bethany House.

Editions: 0764204645, 0764211110

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,186,228 books! | Top bar: Always visible