Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? (1967)

by Bill Martin Jr.

Other authors: Eric Carle (Illustrator)

Series: Brown Bear and Friends (book 1)

Children see a variety of animals, each one a different color, and a teacher looking at them.
    I Went Walking by Sue Williams (conuly)
    conuly: Probably no need to have both, though.
    Who Are You, Baby Kangaroo? by Stella Blackstone (babyhomer)
    babyhomer: similar styles of simple repetitive texts
    Mom! What's That? by Atlas Jordan (Anonymous user)
    Polar Bear, Polar Bear, What Do You Hear? by Bill Jr. Martin (Sandydog1)
    Sandydog1: Both are identical in terms of simplicity and rhythm.

English (706)  Spanish (1)  All languages (707)
A classic of the predictable books genre, Bill Martin Jr. uses both repetition and suspense to craft a tightly written picture book. The piece presents nine animals, one teacher, and a group of students, asking each what they see. The brief, declarative response leads the reader to the next page, and the next character. Eric Carle's iconic, slightly abstract illustrations dominate each double-page spread with a principal color (brown bear, red bird, etc.). The pictures themselves demonstrate the careful use of shade variations within the page's color which gives Carle his distinctive style. As the human characters enter the book, their images also become more compositionally complex, culminating in the rainbow of faces on the "Children, Children" page. The variety of races evident on this penultimate picture drives home the book's thematic acceptance of diversity which was introduced through the non-judgmental presentation each different animal. ( )
  Library_Guard | Jun 17, 2024 |
kids love this book, they like to "read" it by themselves ( )
  janessagras | Jun 6, 2024 |
Independent reading level grade 1 ages 4+
Children's Literature Legacy Award 2003
  mileiawatts | Apr 28, 2024 |
Independent Reading Level: Grades K-1
Bill Martin Jr Picture Book Award
  erikawall | Apr 27, 2024 |
Reading Level ages 2-5
Awards International Reading Association / Children's Book Council (IRA / CBC) Children's Choice, 1984
  jayceyrr | Apr 19, 2024 |

Martin Jr., Billprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Carle, EricIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What do you see?
Red bird, red bird, what do you see? I see a yellow duck looking at me.
Teacher,
Teacher,
What do you see?
I see...
I see a purple cat looking at me.
"Mother, mother, What do you see?" "I see beautiful children looking at me."

Brown Bear is one of all-time favorite stories to share with children. There is so many variations to present this book to children. I like to do the flannel board version and have the children bring an animal to the board as we read. I also like to sing it with the CD and then have the children sing it with me without the music. This book helps children identify animals and colors. Children love to hear this story at least once a week. Additionally the rhythmic tone and repetition is very soothing to young children. I think this is an excellent pre-school book that a teacher can use to increase language and pre-literacy skills.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 207,143,065 books! | Top bar: Always visible