dismiss

Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? (1967)

by Bill Martin, Jr.

Other authors: Eric Carle (Illustrator)

Series: Brown Bear and Friends (book 1)

Children see a variety of animals, each one a different color, and a teacher looking at them.
    I Went Walking by Sue Williams (conuly)
    conuly: Probably no need to have both, though.
    Who Are You, Baby Kangaroo? by Stella Blackstone (babyhomer)
    babyhomer: similar styles of simple repetitive texts
    Polar Bear, Polar Bear, What Do You Hear? by Bill Jr. Martin (Sandydog1)
    Sandydog1: Both are identical in terms of simplicity and rhythm.
    Mom! What's That? by Atlas Jordan (Anonymous user)

English (626)  Spanish (1)  All languages (627)
Martin Jr., W. and Carle, E. (1996). Brown Bear Brown Bear What Do You See? New York: Henry Holt and Co.
This book was illustrated with such vibrant colors that for each animal in this story it will allow the younger child to make connections with colors and animals in the world. A student can learn what animals are what colors throughout this book. This is a perfect book for children that are just starting to recognize letters and the repetitiveness allows for memorization of the letters that form the same words again and again. The ability for the book to rhyme also makes it great for preschoolers that are beginning readers, giving them the rhyming clues for the next words.
  LauraDowdle | Jun 2, 2020 |
An easy board book that follows a rhythmic patten. I love books such as this that read like songs. It is supported by its beautiful illustrations, giving readers clues about what the text says. Children can learn about colors, animals, and rhyming. This is a great beginner's book. ( )
  slserpas | May 4, 2020 |
This book can be used to show repetitive text. ( )
  SkylerStanley | Apr 27, 2020 |
I really love this book. I read it to the toddlers I teach at my job. It is a great board book because it has repetition that the kids are able to learn and start rhyming as they listen and I read along. They are also able to guess what animal is coming up next based on the color hint the book gives before the next page. Kids are able to learn rhymes, and predict what happens next in the story. ( )
  DianaNewman1617 | Apr 23, 2020 |
This book to me will always be a classic. The thing I like about this book is it is good for interjections. Letting the kids trying to guess what the next animal sees. Also it could be fun to have them write something similar of their own. A fun kids class project would be if each kid did one animal and you could put a kids book together so you have your own type of little brown bear book.

Window ( )
  MeaganRodriguez | Apr 15, 2020 |

Martin, Bill, Jr.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Carle, EricIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What do you see?
Red bird, red bird, what do you see? I see a yellow duck looking at me.
Teacher,
Teacher,
What do you see?
I see...
I see a purple cat looking at me.
"Mother, mother, What do you see?" "I see beautiful children looking at me."

Brown Bear is one of all-time favorite stories to share with children. There is so many variations to present this book to children. I like to do the flannel board version and have the children bring an animal to the board as we read. I also like to sing it with the CD and then have the children sing it with me without the music. This book helps children identify animals and colors. Children love to hear this story at least once a week. Additionally the rhythmic tone and repetition is very soothing to young children. I think this is an excellent pre-school book that a teacher can use to increase language and pre-literacy skills.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140502963, 0241137292

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,900,528 books! | Top bar: Always visible