Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by…

Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? (1967)

by Bill Martin, Jr.

Other authors: Eric Carle (Illustrator)

Series: Brown Bear and Friends (book 1)

Who Are You, Baby Kangaroo? by Stella Blackstone (babyhomer)
    babyhomer: similar styles of simple repetitive texts
    I Went Walking by Sue Williams (conuly)
    conuly: Probably no need to have both, though.
    Mom! What's That? by Atlas Jordan (Anonymous user)
    Polar Bear, Polar Bear, What Do You Hear? by Bill Jr. Martin (Sandydog1)
    Sandydog1: Both are identical in terms of simplicity and rhythm.

English (600)  Spanish (1)  All languages (601)
This picture book by Bill Martin Jr. teaches young readers about different kinds of animals. The illustrations of this book are big, colorful, and somewhat abstract. It has repetitive text and can be use as a poem that children can recite while reading aloud.
  Gnodnil | May 19, 2019 |
This book is about a brown bear in a zoo that sees all his fellow animals around him.He sees flamingos, hipo's, monkeys, zebras. The colors in this book are very vibrant and eye catching. The repetitive text in the book makes it easier for young ones to memorize the story and so they remember vocabulary words and it helps them add new words to their dictionary. ( )
  noorkazmi | Apr 30, 2019 |
This book is simple pattern book that teaches colors and animals. The pattern in this book is easy to identify and allows the student to be confident when reading the story. The story has clear pictures that go along with the word, it makes it easy for student to know what the story is about even if they are not able to identify the words. This would be a great book to use with low level readers and ELL students.
  aseebo2 | Apr 8, 2019 |
This book is about a brown bear and then it gives you clues about what animal is on the next page. At the end of the book all the animals are looking at a teacher looking back at them. It is a great way to unlock the brain to learn how to get to a conclusion based on clues. I would use this book in a math class to teach using clues in a word problem to get a correct answer. ( )
  Elizabeth-Alaimo | Mar 17, 2019 |
This book is such a fun read with children. It is used to enforce the names of animals, colors, and can show a pattern in beginning sounds of words. The text follows a pattern in speech, every page follows the "Brown bear, Brown bear, What do you see?" but simply switched the animal and color. The response is always the same as well; "I see a ______ looking at me." This allows children to join in on reading as well. The pictures are very simple but take up the entirety of the page. This allows the child to notice the way the color and animal looks. The plot is very predictable which is beneficial for young readers. Overall, this book is an amazing beginner text to introduce many concepts in a simple way. ( )
  sheiland1 | Mar 14, 2019 |

Martin, Bill, Jr.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Carle, EricIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What do you see?
Red bird, red bird, what do you see? I see a yellow duck looking at me.
Teacher,
Teacher,
What do you see?
I see...
I see a purple cat looking at me.
"Mother, mother, What do you see?" "I see beautiful children looking at me."

Brown Bear is one of all-time favorite stories to share with children. There is so many variations to present this book to children. I like to do the flannel board version and have the children bring an animal to the board as we read. I also like to sing it with the CD and then have the children sing it with me without the music. This book helps children identify animals and colors. Children love to hear this story at least once a week. Additionally the rhythmic tone and repetition is very soothing to young children. I think this is an excellent pre-school book that a teacher can use to increase language and pre-literacy skills.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0805047905, Board book)

The gentle rhyming and gorgeous, tissue-paper collage illustrations in this classic picture book make it a dog-eared favorite on many children's bookshelves. On each page, we meet a new animal who nudges us onward to discover which creature will show up next: "Blue Horse, Blue Horse, What do you see? I see a green frog looking at me." This pattern is repeated over and over, until the pre-reader can chime in with the reader, easily predicting the next rhyme. One thing readers might not predict, however, is just what kinds of funny characters will make an appearance at the denouement! Children on the verge of reading learn best with plenty of identifiable images and rhythmic repetition. Eric Carle's good-humored style and colorful, bold illustrations (like those in The Very Hungry Caterpillar, The Grouchy Ladybug, and Have You Seen My Cat?) have earned him a prominent place in the children's book hall of fame. (Baby to Preschool) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:06 -0400)

Children see a variety of animals, each one a different color, and a teacher looking at them.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140502963, 0241137292

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,503,055 books! | Top bar: Always visible