Endless Forms Most Beautiful: The New Science of Evo Devo (2005)

by Sean B. Carroll

An introduction to evolutionary developmental biology demonstrates how the many forms of animals evolved and came into being, documenting how the Evo Devo branch of science proved that all animal organs and appendages, from arms and legs to wings and fins, were created from a small number of primitive genes.… (more)

Brilliant book. Easy to read and yet doesn't skimp on the science. I understand Evo Devo about 400% more than I did before reading it. ( )
  hierogrammate | Jan 31, 2022 |
  hierogrammate | Jan 31, 2022 |
A very good primer on what Evo Devo ('evolutionary developmental biology' shortened) is and how it greatly adds to our understanding of how parts and pieces develop, relatedness, etc. Especially interesting after reading [b:Genome: the Autobiography of a Species in 23 Chapters|4591|Genome the Autobiography of a Species in 23 Chapters|Matt Ridley|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1362958533s/4591.jpg|1987129], seeing how science has progressed to looking at the changes in switches/expression rather than hunting for specific genes and assuming species developed them independently. ( )
  Daumari | Dec 30, 2017 |
The introduction here, and various summaries I've seen elsewhere, gave me all the content I wanted.  I skimmed the rest a bit, but nothing made me want to actually read it.  Besides which, it is actually already pretty old.
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 5, 2016 |
The writing was much too breathless, in a "gee, look at this butterfly wing!" sort of way. The science got buried in metaphorical cliche'. Writing for a lay audience is always going to be tricky and I think in this case Carroll aimed too low and ended up using too many words that don't say much.

For those interested in another way to approach learning about current evolution theory I strongly recommend checking out the Yale open course available for free online, "Principles of Evolution, Ecology, and Behavior," taught by Stephen C. Stearns, who is as eloquent a storyteller as Sean B. Carroll but also illuminates this field in a more thorough way than Carroll's writing can, link here:

http://oyc.yale.edu/ecology-and-evolutionary-biology/eeb-122 ( )
  poingu | Jan 23, 2016 |
Although Endless Forms Most Beautiful is a lucid and valuable summary of evo–devo, it does proclaim a clever but still unproved hypothesis as central to the evolutionary process. As Carroll himself notes: "Simplification may indeed be necessary for news articles, but it can distort the more complex and subtle realities of evolutionary patterns and mechanisms."
added by jlelliott | editNature, Jerry A. Coyne (Jun 23, 2005)

Carroll, Sean B.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Carroll, Jamie W.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Klaiss, Josh P.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Olds, Leanne M.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The amazing variety of animal forms does not end with those on land and or in the sea.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 207,117,874 books! | Top bar: Always visible