Friday

by Robert A. Heinlein

A beautiful interplanetary agent, a glorious product of genetic engineering, operates from and over a near-future Earth.

English (63)  Czech (1)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (67)
My second Heinlein book and it was too much like the first (Starship Trooper, which I liked). Sadly, this book does not hold up to its counterpart, despite also relying on the journaling writing technique. The whole premise was weak, closely related to Gataga, altogether unclear what the big deal was in this case.
Will give Heinlein two more reads, but I am worried that he will not be one of my science-fiction authors. ( )
  MXMLLN | Jan 12, 2024 |
Heinlein is called the "Grand Master of Science Fiction" for a reason. This book was foundational to my appreciation for the genre. ( )
  David_Brown | Aug 15, 2022 |
Read this waaaay back before achieving sentience, and unlike many Heinlein novels remembered nothing from it. With good reason! Nothing really happens.

The narrator of Friday is an artificial person (vat-grown, i.e. a clone without an original), and is the same as every other "strong female" character in Heinlein's less memorable, post-70s novels. Don't believe me? While reading Friday, try to determine how the narrator differs from any of the other significant female characters. She doesn't! They all have the same matter-of-fact approach to life, the same open and bi-curious sexuality, the same self-reliance and accompanying individualist/libertarian streak. Sure, it's a welcome break from the standard female characters of sci-fi novels of the time, but it doesn't hold up if you read two or more of Heinlein's later novels.

The panning of this forgettable novel by recent readers implied some sort of misogynist rape fantasy, which didn't strike a bell and isn't the sort of thing Heinlein would write. The narrator is briefly gang-raped and tortured during an interrogation at the opening of the novel: it happens off-screen, the narrator clearly has been trained in Spy School to deal with it, and in typical matter-of-fact manner she decides this would be horrific if it happened to a man or woman without her special training, and it was unpleasant, but all in the line of duty so let's move on.

There seems to be some expectation among the aforementioned readers that this is going to be a rape-revenge story along the lines of I Spit On Your Grave (which, at about 90 minutes of agonizing, exploitative rape and 10 minutes of quick, clean revenge, is an odd pick for the you-go-girl crowd -- but I digress), and it isn't, because the rape/torture doesn't traumatize the (again, trained to withstand brutal interrogation techniques) narrator and has very little to do with the subsequent plot (except for providing handy if awkward introductions to new characters). It doesn't fit well, and perhaps it shouldn't have been included in novel at all, but its depiction is hardly salacious, and the widespread condemnation of the act in the novel, combined with the lack of any lasting harm to the narrator, make it difficult to ascribe its presence to some sort of misogynist authorial intent.

Anyways, it's just a bad novel. Steer clear of the ones from [b:I Will Fear No Evil|175325|I Will Fear No Evil|Robert A. Heinlein|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1303411477s/175325.jpg|45662] onward. ( )
  mkfs | Aug 13, 2022 |
Don't remember this one well, but I remember thinking I would've been told I wasn't old enough if they'd known what was in it. Was shocking in the early teen years :P ( )
  Malaraa | Apr 26, 2022 |
4/5/22
  laplantelibrary | Apr 5, 2022 |
Ze heet Vrijdag, is even vindingrijk als verblindend mooi en is één van de beste interplanetaire agenten. Bovendien is zij een kunstmens...

Vrijdag wordt geëxploiteerd door een man, waarvan zij niet meer weet dan dat hij haar opdrachtgever is. Opererend vanaf de Aarde, in een tijd dat Amerika nog slechts een samenraapsel is van enkele dozijnen staatjes, waar cultuur nog nauwelijks betekenis heeft en een blijmoedig soort chaos heerst, vormt ze een soort speelbal binnen het ogenschijnlijk grillige opdrachtenpatroon van haar baas.

Vrijdag weet haar evenwichtigheid op vaardige wijze te behouden door snelle en creatieve oplossingen, terwijl ze van de ene calamiteit in het volgende probleem verzeild raakt. Vertwijfeld in haar opstelling ten aanzien van de mensen waarmee ze werkt en de relaties die daaruit voortvloeien, weet ze nooit of ze nu een stap voor- of achterloopt op de uiteindelijke lotbeschikking van het menselijke ras.
added by karnoefel | editBoekblogger

Santos, Domingosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schlück, ThomasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thole, KarelCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to Ann, Anne, Barbie, Betsy, Bubbles, Carolyn, Catherine, Dian, Diane, Eleanor, Elinor, Gay, Jeanne, Joan, Judy-Lynn, Karen, Kathleen, Marilyn, Nichelle, Patricia, Pepper, Polly, roberta, Ramea, Rebel, Ursula, Verna, Vivian, Vonda, Yumiko, and always - semper toujours! - to Ginny R.A.H.
As I left the Kenya Beanstalk capsule he was right on my heels. He followed me through the door leading to Customs, Health, and Immigration. As the door contracted behind him I killed him.
The Portuguese version of this work comes in three volumes. None should be combined here unless entering all three as a single work.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 201,555,862 books! | Top bar: Always visible