dismiss

Saturn's Children by Charles Stross

Saturn's Children

by Charles Stross

Series: Saturn's Children (1)

Sometime in the twenty-third century, humanity went extinct leaving only androids behind. Freya Nakamichi 47 is a femmebot, one of the last of her kind still functioning. With no humans left to pay for the pleasures she provides, she agrees to transport a mysterious package from Mercury to Mars. Unfortunately for Freya, she has just made herself a moving target for some very powerful, very determined humanoids who will stop at nothing to possess the contents of the package.… (more)
    Friday by Robert A. Heinlein (bertilak, infiniteletters)
    I, Robot by Isaac Asimov (questbird)
    questbird: A collection of Isaac Asimov's Robot stories, where he makes his Three Laws of Robotics explicit. These Three Laws have influenced all subsequent science fiction about robots, including 'Saturn's Children', which is a riff on the Laws.
    The Automatic Detective by A. Lee Martinez (hoddybook)
    hoddybook: Both offer an enjoyable romp with advanced sentient AIs
    With Folded Hands by Jack Williamson (questbird)
    questbird: A tale about robots who carry out their duty to protect humanity to an extreme degree, with negative consequences.
    Crossover by Joel Shepherd (hoddybook)
    hoddybook: Both have female ai's with a high libido in a dangerous universe.

English (64)  French (1)  All languages (65)
I enjoy a good space opera every now and then, but more importantly, I enjoy Mr. Stross's space operas very very much. Sometimes, his novels remind me of the best genre virtuosity. It is an ongoing commentary on all the greats, like Asimov and Heinlein, and it tickled my funny bone to revisit the three laws.

I'll be honest, though. While the story was fun in a light but slightly twisted way, I still got a lot more enjoyment out of the ideas. It reminded me why I preferred sci-fi over almost all types of literature in the first place!

The best of the light humor of the novel was reserved almost entirely for the end, unfortunately. I probably would have enjoyed droll much more had it been established much earlier. Otherwise, I had a good time reading about a future where humanity died out because it couldn't be bothered to screw members of its own species to save its life. ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
I started out thinking that the premise seemed interesting, but there were several jarring parts and the second half was so impossible to follow that I'm still not exactly sure what was going on or why the characters were doing half of what they did. I can't say exactly what it was that convinced me to persevere to the end, but whatever it was must have been good, because it kept me from giving this a single-star rating. ( )
  Jennifer708 | Mar 21, 2020 |
  Jennifer708 | Mar 21, 2020 |
Good read set in a dystopia when humanity has been replaced by human acting robots and AI type super human machines, our solar system has been developed and there are space elevators on the smaller planet and moons. The robots are obsessive about their lost humans as they are psychological enslave to be slave to humans. We follow the story of Freya a sex robot who has never seen a human... ( )
  scottshjefte1 | Sep 6, 2019 |
(I received this audiobook through the Early Reviewers program on LibraryThing.)

This book is heavy on the worldbuilding more than the other conventional attributes of good storytelling, but I enjoyed its vision of the far distant future. There are pivotal scenes which take place largely offstage, large numbers of characters whom we take the effort to get to know who end up being abandoned long before the end, and crucial plot points which are simply stated in a non-dramatic fashion to the point where they seem like offhand remarks. Yet the characters which work do work quite well, in my opinion, and the otherworldly settings work well as convincingly strange, and even if the central plot conceit (inhabited space dominated by the forces of economics) ends up giving impression of being the author's pet hobby-horse, it just kind of works for me in a way.

By the end, I didn't know what the fate of the flying cathedral or the status of the undersea room stuffed with books actually was. Still, I'll remember the spacegoing piratical capitalist bats lead by Count Rudi, the pathologically self-absorbed Gravid Mother, and sweep of conspiracies thousands of years in the making for a while. Do I wish that Krina were more of an active agent in her own story instead of simply reacting to what happened to her? Yes, of course, but I am willing to give her a pass given the interesting way she describes what it was like to be given benthic mermaid form in an ocean hundreds of kilometers deep. The book is too long to make a good film, yet I would be pleased to witness some of these spectacles if someone were to try.

The audiobook narrated by Emily Gray brought out the rather old-fashioned nature of the main character's viewpoint on things and lightened up what might have been a heavy infodump-prone read. I suspect that if I'd experienced this in written form instead of through this narration I would have given it only three stars, but that's the way this subjective matter of reviewing works. ( )
  rmagahiz | Jan 11, 2019 |
Somewhere, Heinlein is proudly smiling.
added by Shortride | editAsimov's Science Fiction, Paul Di Filippo (Sep 1, 2009)

This is a fabulous book, a witty and deep critique of the field's shibboleths, and well worth the price of admission.
added by lampbane | editBoing Boing, Cory Doctorow (Nov 10, 2008)

Charles Strossprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gibbons, LeeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Williamsen,JoeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

'If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants.'
- Sir Isaac Newton
This book is dedicated to the memory of two of the giants of science fiction:
Robert Anson Heinlein (July 7, 1907 - May 8, 1988) and
Isaac Asimov (January 2, 1920 - April 6, 1992)
Today is the two-hundredth anniversary of the final extinction of my One True Love, as close as I can date it.
Why bother learning all that biochemistry stuff-or how to design a building, or conn a boat, or balance accounts, or solve equations, or comfort the dying-when you can get other people to do all that for you in exchange for a blow job?

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,697,734 books! | Top bar: Always visible