Mean Streak (1996)

by Carolyn Wheat

Series: Cass Jameson (4)

Brooklyn attorney Cass Jameson takes on the toughest case of her career, the defense of her former lover, powerful Mafia lawyer Matt Riordan, who has been accused of bribery, but the case becomes complicated by an overly ambitious district attorney and murder.

Quite surprised to find that my database says that I've read one of this series before as I didn't remember the central character at all. Pretty good legal stuff but it's taken me so long to pick this one up and read it that I think that I'd best not say I'd fancy reading more by this author. ( )
  nocto | Dec 13, 2010 |
  nocto | Dec 13, 2010 |
When Cass Jameson was a child there was a roller coaster called the Blue Streak. When she grew older it was replaced with a new improved, out of control roller coaster called the Mean Streak. As a Legal Aid lawyer the equivalent of the Blue Streak had been the Brooklyn state court system where Cass knew all the curves and drop offs by heart. And as an adult, the equivalent of the Mean Streak was the Southern District Federal Court system, just across the river in Manhattan where Cass was going to be trying her first case as the lawyer for her former lover who is also the lawyer for the mob. And while the story has unscrupulous prosecutors, cops on the take, witnesses that turn up dead, three murders and a suicide, the story itself is not a roller coaster. In fact, at times it is rather slow and lacks tension.

The up side is that there is plenty of time for character development of the main character, Cass. She is a character that changes and grows during the story in a way that is believable - though sometimes the story is not. The ending that the reader has already figured out takes Cass a while to get to. The story turns out not to be so much of a roller coaster ride but rather a bicylce ride, pleasant but not really the Mean Streak. ( )
  markatread | May 22, 2010 |

Carolyn Wheatprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kundmüller-Bianchin… SusanneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

dtv (8535)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,457,812 books! | Top bar: Always visible