Eisenhorn

by Dan Abnett

Series: Eisenhorn (Omnibus of 1-2-3), Warhammer 40,000 (Omnibus of Eisenhorn novels 1-2-3 (Dec 2004))

5191036,169 (4.15)15
Eisenhorn, as the collected works are now known is the quite possibly best of Dan Abnett's work. Originally published as three separate paper-back novels named Xenos, Malleus, and Hereticus this new edition includes the unabridged contents of those three books as well as two "arching" short stories of about twenty pages that connect books one to two and two to three. This is an amazingly opportunity. Covering a period of nearly three hundred years, Eisenhorn is an epic tale of the far distant future of humanity. The galaxy has been colonized by mankind and is united together in one glorious and dark Imperium that spans nearly forty-percent of the galaxy, untold trillions of human beings spread across thousands and thousands of worlds struggle for survival as the Imperium's tenuous hold on its territory and its way of life is threatened from without and within by forces both malevolent and ancient. Principle among these foes are the insidious taint of warp-spawned daemons and their corrosive chaos that corrupts the very soul of and body humanity, aliens who range from disdainfully arrogant to primordially evil, and the threat of insurrection from within the ranks of humanity itself.… (more)
    The Vampire Genevieve by Jack Yeovil (Whispering)
    Whispering: Not in the Warhammer 40K universe but in the Warhammer universe the writing caliber is the same.
    Ravenor by Dan Abnett (NickBlasta)

A great trilogy. Knowing the Warhammer 40k universe like I do I should have expected where the story would go, but it kept me in suspense throughout. A very enjoyable dark, Sci-Fi fantasy story by the master writer of the 40k universe Dan Abnett. ( )
  b_coli | Nov 25, 2020 |
The biggest surprise I had when I read this book was that I didn't recognise any of it. I am sure I had read this before and was sitting down for a comforting re-read. My second biggest surprise is that its really very good. I mean, its not great literature, but its well written, mostly well paced, has good characterisation, and is both gripping and satisfying. It's good enough that I'd recommend it to someone who isn't in to the whole Space Marine thing! ( )
  elahrairah | Aug 27, 2020 |
It took me a while to get through this book, but it was well worth it. Though it is three separate novels, the stories are very intertwined, so this really reads like on big epic novel. The story of inquisitor Gregor Eisenhorn is as much an epic story of a man fighting dark forces of evil and the bane of bureaucrats who are supposed to be on his side (think of other heroes who have to put up with their colleagues who are often too tied down by rules. Dirty Harry comes to mind, but I am sure there are other examples) as it is the story of a man who changes and grows over time. His mindset changes as he comes to see that there is a price to getting to know your enemy in order to fight him better. Unlike the Ciaphas Cain novels, which I read earlier (and enjoyed as well), there is not as much humor here, but there is a blend of adventure and detective/investigator story that is entertaining and engaging. Abnett does take his characters through various twists and turns, which keep the stories interesting. Just when you think something will turn out one way, there is a twist. The pace of the books is pretty quick once it catches on, and it does not let you go. I think fans of the WH40K novels will certainly like it. If a reader is considering this series, this omnibus is a good entry point. The character of Gideon Ravenor, who is a pupil of Eisenhorn and eventually becomes an inquisitor on his own right, gets some action in the novels, and we get to see him grow as well. I noticed the Black Library just put out an omnibus collection of the Ravenor novels, which can be sort of a sequel to this book, and given how much I liked this, I will certainly seek that out at some point.
  bloodravenlib | Aug 17, 2020 |
Set in the Warhammer 40k universe, but accessible and enjoyable for those (like me) who know little to nothing about that backdrop.

This is a sci-fi novel written more in the style of a noir detective story. Be warned, at nearly 800 pages, it can be a bit of a slog. Fortunately, the book is broken down into 3 novellas and 2 short stories (all connected), which give you natural places to take a break. ( )
  irregularreader | Oct 31, 2016 |
A really entertaining read from beginning to end. Dan Abnett creates characters you want to root for and hate. A blend of detective story, paranormal investigations coupled with war fiction, it makes for a ripping yarn with some nice little twists along the way. I wouldn't necessarily say it was high literature but it's definitely above the standard Warhammer 40,000 and pulp SF fare, perhaps owing to Mr Abnett's heritage with 2000AD and other SF publications.

Although not thought provoking as such it does give a different insight into the universe of Warhammer 40,000, dealing with the countless citizens of the Imperium and giving us a inside view of that empire's internal workings and politics. Although it has its action-packed heroic moments its certainly not simply "space mahreenz!" as much of the Black Library catalogue is reputed to demonstrate. Characters are for the most part in depth and well thought out, each with their own motivations.

I challenge SF readers who have steered away from Warhammer 40,000 because of the fear of fanboy overload to give these books a try. It's certainly not hard SF but it definitely whiles away an afternoon without you feeling like you lost a little part of your literary dignity!

I've re-read this book several times, as its become one of my 'old friends' that I pick up when I'm lacking inspiration or just need entertaining. Hopefully you will befriend it too. ( )
1 vote DunkaFett82 | Apr 8, 2014 |

Dan Abnettprimary authorall editionscalculated
Langley, ClintCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Eisenhorn (Omnibus of 1-2-3)
Warhammer 40,000 (Omnibus of Eisenhorn novels 1-2-3 (Dec 2004))

Belongs to Publisher Series

Xenos:
For John Parsons, bonemagos
Malleus:
For Kyle Foster and the Taken, wherever you may be.
Hereticus:
For Mark Bedford
(Introduction): Once, when asked where he got his ideas, David Mamet replied, 'I think of them.'
Xenos::
Hunting the recidivist Murdin Eyclone, I came to Hubris in the Dormant of 240.M41, as the Imperial sidereal calendar has it.
Malleus:
As I grow older, may the Emperor protect me, I find I measure my history in terms of milestones, those occurrences of such intense moment that they will never pass from one's memory: my induction into the blessed ordos of the Inquisition; my first day as a neophyte assigned to the great Hapeshant; my first successful prosecution; the heretic Lemete Syre; my elevation to full inquisitorial rank at the age of twenty-four standard years; the long drawn-out Nassar case; the affair of the Necroteuch; the P'glao conspiracy.
Hereticus:
When the time came, Fayde Thuring was damn near impossible to stop.

A collection of the three Eisenhorn novels: Xenos, Malleus and Hereticus. Plus the two short stories "Missing in Action" and "Backloth for a Crown Additional" and an introduction by the author.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,260,023 books! | Top bar: Always visible