Portnoy's Complaint (1969)

by Philip Roth

6,9721431,154 (3.62)1 / 237
The groundbreaking novel that propelled its author to literary stardom: told in a continuous monologue from patient to psychoanalyst, Philip Roth's masterpiece draws us into the turbulent mind of one lust-ridden young Jewish bachelor named Alexander Portnoy.  Portnoy's Complaint n. [after Alexander Portnoy (1933- )] A disorder in which strongly-felt ethical and altruistic impulses are perpetually warring with extreme sexual longings, often of a perverse nature. Spielvogel says: 'Acts of exhibitionism, voyeurism, fetishism, auto-eroticism and oral coitus are plentiful; as a consequence of the patient's "morality," however, neither fantasy nor act issues in genuine sexual gratification, but rather in overriding feelings of shame and the dread of retribution, particularly in the form of castration.' (Spielvogel, O. "The Puzzled Penis," Internationale Zeitschrift für Psychoanalyse, Vol. XXIV, p. 909.) It is believed by Spielvogel that many of the symptoms can be traced to the bonds obtaining in the mother-child relationship.… (more)

English (125)  French (4)  Italian (4)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (2)  Catalan (2)  Danish (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (142)
not hard to understand the popularity of this book. there really is 'something for everyone' (male readers only). ostensibly, we have the humorous aspect of the work. there are some nice 'tongue in cheek' (so to speak) riffs. however, the real achievement here is the sleek embodiment of the modern reactionary (and curiously freudian) notion that all so-called 'do gooders' are motivated, at least in part, by psychosis. ( )
  Joe.Olipo | Nov 26, 2022 |
Felt authentic, self-revelatory, probing a fundamental pillar of our being, which is sex of course. A must read for budding adults & then some.
  RonSchulz | Jun 24, 2022 |
Meh. I finally read this from Boxall's list. The NY Times Book Review called it, "A deliciously funny book, absurd and exuberant, wild and uproarious." I found it unfunny and annoying. I can see how it was shocking for it's time, for me now, it is shocking in it's treatment of women. ( )
  auldhouse | Sep 30, 2021 |
Interesting book about Alexander Portnoy and his complaint, actually should be, complaints. There are very many, his parents, religion, sex, his sex life all being told to his doctor. I would imagine that when this book was published it was probably very controversial with its free flowing talk of sex.

One problem that I have with this book is the use of Yiddish words with no definition for those who are not familiar with the language. ( )
  foof2you | Aug 22, 2021 |
Portnoy's Complaint by Philip Roth (1994)
  arosoff | Jul 10, 2021 |

Roth, Philipprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fontcuberta i Gel, JoanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hoog, ElseTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
She was so deeply imbedded in my consciousness that for the first year of school I seemed to have believed that each of my teachers was my mother in disguise.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,242,570 books! | Top bar: Always visible