Highlander Unbound by Julia London

Highlander Unbound

by Julia London

193None60,678 (3.28)3

I just couldn't get into this one. The "beastie" which is a statue of legend seems a bit ridiculous. Also, I couldn't identify with the characters. Liam did not come across as the usual dashing romantic lead. Instead he seemed to be part of a family that was in desperate times and he was the best they could do. Unfortunately it wasn't good enough for me. ( )
  melorem | Jul 29, 2011 |
Scottish Cpt. Liam Lockheart chases after a very valuable statue that he believes the English stole from his family, and is only delighted to continue chasing Ellen Farnsworth when she makes off with it. Fine. ( )
  Elishibai | Jun 23, 2010 |
Completely stupid. ( )
  mbosvyle | Aug 29, 2009 |
The story starts with a statue of a "beastie": an ugly thing passed down through the Lockhart family. Over the generations, its story has been turned into a curse on the statue. But when the Scottish branch of the Lockharts are on the verge of losing their land and livelihood, the money they could get for it becomes very appealing, and they decide to retrieve it from the English branch.

Older brother Liam, a captain in the Highland Regiments, goes to London to commit some espionage and larceny. While there, he meets and falls in love with Ellie, the daughter of his landlord.

Ellie and her daughter Natalie are virtual prisoners in her father's home--a result of the youthful love affair that left Ellie with a broken heart, a ruined reputation, and a highly imaginative daughter. She's falling in love with Liam, but her first concern is for Natalie, and she'll do anything to give her a better life.

I very much enjoyed Liam's fish-out-of-water antics in London. He was right on the verge of being too comical to be real, but never crossed the line--mostly because we're in his POV when he's doing something odd, and he makes perfect sense, given his character.

I likewise understood Ellie quite well: her fears for her child, and being torn by what she saw as a decision between Liam and Natalie.

What really interfered with my enjoyment of the story was the back cover blurb. I know, I know--I usually make it a point to avoid reading them, but for some reason I read this one. It gives away a plot point that happens well into the second half of the book, and as if that's not bad enough, it misrepresents it, so I spent over half the book waiting for an event that wasn't what I'd expected. Not that I wanted the story to go the way I was expecting--I love it when books surprise me--but if it's on the back of the book, you pretty much expect it to be true. Argh.

Anyway, I'll likely look up the next book in this trilogy. I'm not a big historical romance fan, but I do enjoy Julia London's writing. ( )
1 vote Darla | Nov 30, 2008 |
I just can't put my finger on why, but this book just didn't do it for me. I have a couple of ideas and reasons, and all tolled together, the book just didn't thrill me. For one thing, this takes place during Regency times - 1816. Why does it just seem so incongruous to have a Scottish Highlander in London during these times? I much prefer them on their own turf, and preferably earlier times. I guess I'm a Scottish Highlander snob. I'm happier with medieval highlanders or highlanders set around the time of the risings.

ktleyed | Nov 20, 2008 |
In and around Loch Chon, they would talk for manyyears of how the fair Lady of Lockhartlaughed like a madwomanwhen her husbandhanged her lover - on the very eve of her date with the executioner's ax.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0743465067, Mass Market Paperback)

On leave from his Highland regiment, Captain Liam Lockhart comes to London on an urgent mission: to repossess the stolen family heirloom that could save his ancestral estate. He never dreamed it would involve surrendering his heart. But the beautiful and scandalous socialite Ellen Farnsworth sets his Highland blood aflame with a will as strong and reckless as his own. Though bound to Liam by a soul-searing passion, duty impels Ellen to commit a terrible betrayal.

Now, driven by passion, pride, and vengeance that know no bounds, this fearsome Highlander will reclaim not only his family's ancient treasure, but the one daring woman he was meant to love for all time.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:53:24 -0400)

On leave from his Highland regiment, Captain Liam Lockhart heads for London in order to reclaim his family's ancient treasure, a stolen heirloom that could save his ancestral estate, and meets beautiful socialite Ellen Farnsworth.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,487,244 books! | Top bar: Always visible