The End (2006)

by Lemony Snicket

Other authors: Brett Helquist (Illustrator), Michael Kupperman (Illustrator)

Series: A Series of Unfortunate Events (13)

Lost at sea, the Baudelaire orphans, along with the evil Count Olaf, wash up on the shore of an island populated by an oddly placid group of inhabitants, and they try to decide whether or not they are truly safe.

English (120)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (122)
Lo amé porque terminé más confundida ( )
  Ella_Zegarra | Jan 18, 2022 |
This is a confusing series? Was the ring in the Superbowl? Who is Olaf really? What happened at the masked ball, or the opera with the poison darts? I still don't know. ( )
  Kat_books | Nov 9, 2021 |
The word play in the last book of the series is top notch, and once again, the author diverts from the formula of the second half of the series, and in the end leaves a lot of things unexplored and unknown. It’s a bit jarring, given the tried and true method of ending a book, but since he took the time to explain how all stories are just the middle of the whole story, he’s only illustrating his point further, as he has done extensively throughout the series. The more I think about it, in fact, the more I think this guy is even more subtle and clever than I had maybe given him credit for previously (let’s be honest, the cleverness is obvious, the subtlety much less so).
I guess it really does depend on how you look at it. ( )
  Annrosenzweig | Oct 15, 2021 |
when i first read this as a youngun i was underwhelmed because after the really rich 12th book i was expecting something that outdid it and put to bed all the wild secrets and questions that were brought up last time but obviously it didn't do that so I was honestly kind of disappointed. upon rereading it I understand why lemony did this tho and i like it a lot because of this. the last book is very simple comparatively, almost fable-like, and sobering. to me this says "there are too many questions in the world to answer all of them." The fact that nothing is revealed about the sugar bowl for example. it seems like a testament to how pointless finding a meaning to life is and that we shouldnt just let it happen we gotta play active roles in our lives all that kinda stuff. ( )
  jooniper | Sep 10, 2021 |
I absolutely loved this series. See my review coming up at www.sezabez.wordpress.com! ( )
  SarahRita | Aug 11, 2021 |
A happy ending for the Bauldelaire orphans in my opinion. Though, i'd like to hear more about their exploits.I just finished today, i'm going to give my thanks to Daniel Handler(Lemony Snicket) for giving me something to be hooked on for the past few weeks, and the thing i was hooked on was the series of unfortunate events books. I look forward to the next four books he will be making on something else and maybe some more series of unfortunate events. All the series of unfortunate events fans, keep your eyes peeled for the new books in 2012!
added by Xianelle | editpersonal, Xianelle San Juan (Dec 19, 2011)

Snicket, Lemonyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Helquist, BrettIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kupperman, MichaelIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Curry, TimNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ô Mort, vieux capitaine, il est temps ! levons l'ancre !
Ce pays nous ennuie, ô Mort ! Appareillons !
Si le ciel et la mer sont noirs comme de l'encre,
Nos coeurs que tu connais sont remplis de rayons !
For Beatrice -- I cherished, you perished. The world's been nightmarished
For Beatrice -- We are like boats passing in the night -- particularly you.
If you have every peeled an onion, then you know that the first thin, papery layer reveals another thin, papery layer, and that layer reveals another, and another, and before you know it you have hundreds of layers all over the kitchen table and thousands of tears in your eyes, sorry that you ever started peeling in the first place and wishing that you had left the onion alone to wither away on the shelf of the pantry while you went on with your life, even if that meant never again enjoying the complicated and overwhelming taste of this strange and bitter vegetable.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 165,996,813 books! | Top bar: Always visible