Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

When Love Awaits by Johanna Lindsey

When Love Awaits

by Johanna Lindsey

Typical Lindsey historical. Overblown emotional yarn with great characters. Quick read. ( )
  lesmel | Jul 14, 2013 |
I picked up an entire collection of Johanna Lindsey books from the free cart at the library and over this weekend, I've decided to read and get rid of books that are "cover challenged." A mere glance at "When Love Awaits" attests to the fact that it clearly falls into that category.

The male protagonist, Rolfe, is butt naked and holding a sword, and Lady Leonie's neck is abnormally long and bent at an unnatural angle.

At any rate, I used to be a huge Lindsey fan, and I've never read this 1986 one, so I thought, why not. It's been a while since I've read an old school style "bodice ripper" and this one was refreshing in some ways in comparison to the regencies I've been gorging myself on lately.

Interesting Medieval Setting: The Medieval genre is particularly enjoyable to because the women were productive and contributed to the well being of the household rather than dressing up and attending yet another house party and another ball. It was interesting to read about how they led their lives and households.

I haven't read about the "warrior" hero in a while, and while Rolfe was fairly cookie cutter, he seemed like a really great guy, particularly in the way in which he tried to appease his (psycho) wife. He told her he loved her, he bought her gifts, and he constantly tries to communicate with her and tries to get through to her in order to make their relationship better. He wasn't exactly the brightest bulb int he box, but I liked him.

And now to the negatives:
-Lady Leonie, the psycho: The heroine in this book was a complete idiot. She literally had no brain and made the stupidest decisions based on the stupidest misconceptions. She believed the wrong people and didn't show one moment of thoughtfulness. The plot device that kept them apart was a weak one, and it was, in my opinion, a foolish one based on Leonie's idiocy. Leonie is impulsive and flounces around the novel too much or runs away every time something angers or hurts her instead of staying to fight for her marriage and relationship. She was weak, she was dumb, she was sometimes conniving, and an overall moron. I really don't know what he saw in her, unless it was her silvery good looks and hot bod.

-Miscommunications and Misunderstandings: This, apparently is a big trope in older romance novels. I think romance readers these days demand a little more complexity to the characters and to the relationship. This book, written in 1986 makes use of the misunderstanding and miscommunication plot device to much and not enough time having the characters build a relationship and slowly begin to trust each other. The book was too much about Rolfe dominating Leonie and bending her to his desire and will and Leonie's resistance and not enough about them getting to learn and love each other despite their fear and mistrust.

Overall, this was an alright effort in an old school genre of romance writing.

RubyA | Mar 30, 2013 |
Have re-read several times. One of the better story lines. ( )
  StacyLHanson | Sep 19, 2011 |
The ending was disapointing ( )
  silverangel_1999 | Oct 31, 2007 |
Dedicated to Vivian and Bill Walje, my second parents.
England 1176. Sir Guibert Fitzalan leaned back against the thick tree trunk, watching tow maidservants pack away the remains of the picnic lunch.

Once Lady Leonie, the exquisite mistress of Pershwick, cursed "the Black Wolf" -handsome Rolfe d'Ambert, the mercenary Lord of Kempston-for his bloody deeds and cruelty to the local peasants. And now she must marry the magnificent blackguard to bring peace to the land. But when she met the dark, magnificent, man who came to claim her...when she felt his burning caresses igniting her soul... all fears faded like a dream. Yet the terrible demands of past hatreds amt misunderstandings would tear Leonie and Rolle apart again and again. Until in the blazing glory of passion's realm, they learned the truth that only love can bring.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0380897393, Mass Market Paperback)

Once Lady Leonie cursed 'the Black Wolf' - handsome Rolfe d'Ambert, the mercenary Lord of Kempston - for his bloody deeds and cruelty to the local peasants. Now she must marry the magnificent blackguard to bring peace to the land.

Young, innocent, and possessing a rare and exquisite beauty, Leonie would be a prize for any man - yet Rolfe seeks the match solely for revenge. But her sensuous kiss ignites within him the fiery need to claim her - and an irresistible desire to unite their warring hearts in glorious love.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:44 -0400)

Pledged to the infamous Lord Rolfe, beautiful Lady Leonie cringes at the thought of her impending marriage, but her fears crumble when she meets the handsome man who comes to claim his bride.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,474,553 books! | Top bar: Always visible