The Darkest Room by Johan Theorin

The Darkest Room (2008)

by Johan Theorin

Series: Gerlof Davidsson (2)

English (17)  Dutch (4)  German (2)  Danish (2)  French (2)  Swedish (2)  Finnish (1)  Spanish (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (32)
READ IN DUTCH

Joakim and Katrine decide to move to a manor near the shore of Öland. There have been a number of strange deaths ever since the house was build using salvage wood from a wrecked ship.

I don't really know what to think of this story. I liked his first book better, I guess. I'm not really into ghost stories and I think I expected it to be slightly different. The writing style was nice and it was nice to read but nothing special. I still want to read his new book, because his first book was very good and maybe this story just wasn't my cup of tea. ( )
  Floratina | Jan 4, 2015 |
Theorins erstes Buch Öland wurde als Geisterbuch angekündigt - zu Unrecht wie man beim Lesen feststellen musste. Doch dafür passt Nebelsturm, sein zweites Werk, unter diese Rubrik. Wobei man hinzufügen muss: auch in diese Rubrik. Denn es ist zugleich ebenso ein Krimi wie eine Familiengeschichte.
Joakim Westin zieht mit seiner Familie nach Öland in einen alten renovierungsbedürftigen Hof, um den sich viele Geschichten ranken. Doch bald nach ihrem Einzug stirbt ein Mitglied der Familie und Joakim ist im Gegensatz zur Polizei davon überzeugt, dass es kein Unfall war. Er beginnt auf eigene Faust zu ermitteln. Die Geschichte des Hofes, die ein grausames Geheimnis verbirgt, beginnt sich immer mehr mit dem seiner Familie zu verspinnen...
Theorin beschreibt glänzend die unheimliche Atmosphäre des Hofes, auf dem scheinbar mehr als die real existierenden Personen leben. Dazu die gespenstische Stimmung Ölands im Winter - schnell ist man versucht, auch an Geister zu glauben. Doch was mich am meisten begeisterte, ist seine Fähigkeit, trotz aller mysteriösen Umstände (und derer gibt es mehr als genug) für (fast) alles eine durchaus rationale Erklärung zu haben, so dass sich der 'moderne, rationale' Verstand nicht mit solchem 'Unsinn' wie Gespenstern herumschlagen muss. Und trotzdem - ein Rest Zweifel bleibt, der sich gerade deshalb nicht so schnell vertreiben lässt.
Spannend, gruselig, aufregend - einfach klasse! ( )
  Xirxe | Dec 2, 2014 |
A deeply creepy and suspenful ghost story with a murder mystery and police procedural thrown in as well. It sounds like a mishmash but it sticks together wonderfully and gets very hard to put down.
1 vote amyem58 | Jul 15, 2014 |
Gave me the 'willies'. Creepiest book I've read in a while. Well written. ( )
  richardcjennings | Nov 11, 2013 |
Even though I read it alone and there wasn’t a campfire in sight reading The Darkest Room was a similar experience to having sat at the feet of an old-fashioned storyteller and become engrossed in his latest tale. Different threads and themes are woven together in a way that would be a disaster in a lesser craftsman’s hands but in Theorin’s, who is clearly a master of his craft, the sensitively translated product is deliciously atmospheric.

The novel centres on a house which was originally built from timber washed ashore after a shipwreck in 1846. The house, at Eel Point on the remote Swedish island of Öland, has seen many inhabitants in the subsequent decades and the book reveals what happened to some of them in between recounting the story of the house’s current owners Katrine and Joakim Westin. Just as they and their children are settling into their new home after moving from Stockholm tragedy strikes the family, as it has befallen many of the house’s previous occupants, and Theorin teases us by slowly revealing that things are not as they might first have seemed. Are there ghosts at Eel Point or does the danger that lurks take a more earthly form?

In addition to the Westins we meet Tilda Davidsson, a recently graduated police officer who is the sole officer operating full-time out of a newly re-opened station in one of the island’s towns. Her job is primarily a community liaison though she does have at least one more serious investigation to worry about as the island experiences a string of burglaries. As well as being an interesting character in her own right Tilda’s familial relationships offer a way for Theorin to include Gerlof Davidsson here, who was my favourite figure in the first book, Echoes from the Dead. There just aren’t enough clever octogenarians featured in fiction these days and even though Gerlof’s role is a more minor one I appreciated his insights as Tilda records his thoughts and stories in an informal oral history.

I know that saying that a book’s setting is a character is frowned upon in some reviewing circles but I can’t think of any other way to describe the presence in this story of the house in particular and the island in general. The action takes place in the Northern winter when the island is at its coldest, harshest and least inviting. Snow, ice and storms feature heavily and I can’t be the only reader to have reached for a warming cup of tea and another blanket as I lost myself in the tale. Aside from the natural environment the book also explores a theme that Theorin is clearly engaged by, namely the social changes the island has seen as Sweden has moved from being an agricultural based society to a more urbanised one.

There are plenty of other aspects of this absorbing book I could talk about but I’m wary of giving spoilers and frankly further discussion on my part is just taking you away from your next task which is to track down a copy of the book. Now. It is part historical fiction, part ghost story, part whodunit, and part sailor’s yarn. It is wholly enjoyable and recommended to all. ( )
  bsquaredinoz | Mar 31, 2013 |
Den andre i en serie på fire kriminalromaner fra Öland Når den kraftige stormen som kalles fokk, feier inn over Öland, gjør man best i å holde seg innendørs. Fokket kommer fra nord med snø, is og kulde, og trekker alt med seg på sin vei. Den tidligere fyrvokterboligen Åludden gård med sine to fyrtårn har stått tom i mange år da Katrine og Joakim Westin fra Stockholm kjøper eiendommen. Husene er bygd av tømmer fra et skip som forliste i 1846, og ryktet vil ha det til at det nordre fyret kun lyser natten før noen skal dø. Ekteparet Westin, som har to små barn, har pusset opp boliger før og er ikke det minste overtroiske. Men utpå høsten får de høre en gammel historie om at gården hver jul får besøk av de døde. Nattefokker en blanding av kriminalroman og spøkelsesfortelling, men også en beretning om sorg -- med et like mørkt som spennende handlingsforløp, der trådene samles under et uvær på Åludden gård selveste julenatten.Johan Theorin (født 1963) er journalist. Han har tilbragt alle sine sommerferier på Öland. Nattefokk er den andre i en serie på fire bøker fra Öland. Den første, Skumringstimen, ble tildelt Svenska Deckarakademins pris for beste krimdebut i 2007. Johan Theorin utgis i seksten land.

Johan Theorinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Misumi, KazuyoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ratajczak, BogumiłaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schöps, KerstinTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Valle, Carlos delTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"De döda samlas varje vinter för att fira jul. Men en gång blev de störda av en ogift gumma. Hennes klocka hade stannat, så hon gick upp för tidigt och kom mitt i lulnatten till kyrkan. Det sorlade av röster som om det var gudstjänst där och det var fullt med folk. Plötsligt såg gumman sin fästman från unga dagar. Han hade drunknat många år tidigare, men nu satt han i en kyrkbänk bland de andra." - Svensk folksägen från 1800-talet
Det är här min bok börjar, Katrine, året då Åluddens gård byggdes.

Joakim Westin, a grieving widower whose young daughter begins hearing ghostly voices, must solve a puzzle that includes a walled-in room and his community's mysterious glowing lighthouse.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,431,456 books! | Top bar: Always visible