The Writer's Journey: Mythic Structure for Storytellers and Screenwriters

by Christopher Vogler

Provides new insights and observations from Vogler's pioneering work in mythic structure for writers.

The theory of story telling described in this book is fascinating and useful. However, take it with a pinch of salt. The author wants to make it about not just the story, but life itself, which is cringing to read, and I can also recommend skipping the parts about Jung. All in all a quite good book for the aspiring writer. ( )
  troelsk | May 8, 2020 |
In this book I described the set of concepts known as “The Hero’s Journey,” drawn from the depth psychology of Carl G. Jung and the mythic studies of Joseph Campbell. I tried to relate those ideas to contemporary storytelling…

It’s a guide to the archetypes who populate life (and storytelling) and the stages of heroic journeys people take. Vogler analyzes the archetypes and stages and applies them to numerous well-known films. It’s exactly the kind of “writing book” to read parallel with a current writing project -- it validates many aspects and inspires new ideas. To delve deeper and reinforce, I want to watch the “Power of Myth” videos with Campbell and Bill Moyers. ( )
  DetailMuse | Oct 15, 2019 |
The first part of this book was interesting, and I can see how it would be an important guide in a lot of novels. When I did an exercise applying this formula to one of my own stories, I was able to see how the ideas applied, but found that the order didn't work for my story. I don't think adherence to formulas is good for fiction. That's how you get all those books and movies that seem to be the same story with mildly different characters. But, this theory can help you give a lot of depth to your story.

As a long time gamer and fantasy reader, I was familiar with the ideas in the second part of the book and ended up skimming them. ( )
  Lndlindsey | Mar 9, 2018 |

Christopher Voglerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kuhnke, FrankTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Mom and Dad
Intro:

The waves are still rolling in from the pebbles in the pond that were the original Writer's Journey and its second edition. Since almost a decade has gone by since the second edition was launched, the ideas in that volume have been strenuously tested in a number of story-making laboratories around the world.
In the long run, one of the most influential books of the 20th century may turn out to be Joseph Campbell's The Hero with a Thousand Faces.
There are only two or three human stories, and they go on repeating themselves as fiercely as if they had never happened before. -- Willa Cather, in O Pioneers!

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 158,973,428 books! | Top bar: Always visible