Woe Is I: The Grammarphobe's Guide to Better English in Plain English (1996)

by Patricia T. O'Conner

A guide to English grammar and style reveals the underlying logic of the language with the help of examples organized according to specific problems.

English (15)  Dutch (1)  All languages (16)
A lighthearted approach to problematic issues with grammar and usage. This is a quick, fun read and should also be handy reference, with chapters on easily confused words, cliches to let die, and common grammar snafus. ( )
  sturlington | Jul 12, 2016 |
I'm certainly not a grammarphobe (quite the contrary), but I *love* this book. Yes, dorky I know.... to love a book about grammar :) ( )
  SaraMSLIS | Jan 26, 2016 |
I'm the type of English nerd who enjoys reading grammar guides for fun and the title of this one struck my fancy a couple years ago. However, this grammar guide wasn't quite as fun as the title implies. The author is a little too prescriptive in her tastes (rather than descriptive) and American-centric, which occasionally clashes with my eccentric Canadian spelling. Also, because I read the second edition that was originally published in 2003, the chapter on email is hysterically outdated. Not bad for a flip-through reference guide but if you're looking for a grammar equivalent to Eats, Shoots & Leaves keep on moving. ( )
  MickyFine | Oct 22, 2013 |
This was the gift of a writing friend. It attempts to instill grammar, and help you remember those pesky rules by using humor. Chapter headings and subtitles include: COMMA SUTRA: The Joy of Punctuation and THE COMPLETE DANGLER: A Fish Out of Water. I wouldn't call it a joy to read--for me, as with gynecological exams or a root canal, there's only so much you can do to make grammar ... well, less unpleasant. But a sense of play and humor does make things less sleep inducing--and helps the rules stick longer in your mind. ( )
  LisaMaria_C | Sep 7, 2013 |
This book isn't as uproarious or as cynical as Eats Shoots and Leaves, but it's a close contender and a lot more informative than its British counterpart. ( )
  palaverofbirds | Mar 29, 2013 |
For Stewart
When a tiny word gives you a big headache, it's probably a pronoun.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,132,207 books! | Top bar: Always visible