The Elements of Style

by William Strunk, Jr., E. B. White

Hailed for its directness and clever insight, this unorthodox textbook was born from a professor's love for the written word and perfected years later by one of his students--famed author E.B. White. Ever since its first publication in 1959, writers have turned to this book for its wise and accessible advice.… (more)
    On Writing Well by William Zinsser (chwiggy)
    The Reader Over Your Shoulder: A Handbook for Writers of English Prose by Robert Graves (aulsmith)
    aulsmith: Reader Over Your Shoulder has the same sort of advice as Elements of Style, but with many interesting examples of prose written in violation of the principle they are advocating.
    Latein ist tot, es lebe Latein!: Kleine Geschichte einer großen Sprache by Wilfried Stroh (chwiggy)
    Deutsch fürs Leben: Was die Schule zu lehren vergaß by Wolf Schneider (JuliaMaria)

English (179)  Italian (1)  German (1)  Japanese (1)  All languages (182)
NA
  pszolovits | Feb 3, 2021 |
NA
  pszolovits | Feb 3, 2021 |
Although this book is considered somewhat outdated, it still taught me a great deal about proper English writing. It was an interesting read and helped me to identify a couple of mistakes that frequently find their way into my writing. ( )
  readalicious | Jan 7, 2021 |
Parts of it seemed very simple, the type of common sense that everyone is already familiar with. That may be the biggest strength of Elements of Style; providing informative advice in a manner which makes it feel obvious. It is not a "read once and put on a shelf" book though. Having finished it, and having absorbed much of its teachings, I could read through the book again tomorrow and discover more. ( )
1 vote b_coli | Nov 25, 2020 |
Contents
1. Introductory
2. Elementary Rules Of Usage
3. Elementary Principles Of Composition
4. A Few Matters Of Form
5. Words And Expressions Commonly Misused
6. Words Commonly Misused ( )
  knoba | Oct 12, 2020 |
Buy it, study it, enjoy it. It's as timeless as a book can be in our age of volubility. (previous edition)
added by ArrowStead | editThe New York Times

...still a little book, small enough and important enough to carry in your pocket, as I carry mine.
added by ArrowStead | editFront cover, Charles Osgood

The Elements of Style does not deserve the enormous esteem in which it is held by American college graduates. Its advice ranges from limp platitudes to inconsistent nonsense. Its enormous influence has not improved American students' grasp of English grammar; it has significantly degraded it.

Strunk, William, Jr.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
White, E. B.main authorall editionsconfirmed
Angell, RogerForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kalman, MairaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The first writer I watched at work was my stepfather, E.B. White.
1. Form the possessive singular of nouns by adding 's.
Introduction: At the close of the first World War, when I was a student at Cornell, I took a course called English 8.
[50th anniversary and 1979 editions.]
Introduction: A small book arrived in my mail not long ago, a gift from a friend in Ithica.
[1959 edition]
"The Elements of Forbidden" about 5 copies of which are buried in this work, are due to a since-corrected LibraryThing error, and are really also 'Style' works
This is the edition of The Elements of Style that was written by William Strunk and later expanded upon by E.B. White.  Please do not combine with the original, unexpanded version by Strunk alone, nor with the illustrated edition.

According to the St. Louis Dispatch, this "excellent book, which should go off to college with every freshman, is recognized as the best book of its kind we have." It should be the ". . . daily companion of anyone who writes for a living and, for that matter, anyone who writes at all" (Greensboro Daily New). "No book in shorter space, with fewer words, will help any writer more than this persistent little volume"
Excruiciating

Grammatical correctness:

Here's how to do it. (lturpin42)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,973,487 books! | Top bar: Always visible