dismiss

The Stonekeeper's Curse (2009)

by Kazu Kibuishi

Series: Amulet (Kibuishi) (2)

Emily and her brother Navin head for Kanalis to find an antidote for the poison that is killing their mother.
    Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J. K. Rowling (Anonymous user)
    Coraline by Neil Gaiman (Anonymous user)

English (48)  German (1)  All languages (49)
This one was... weird..

Well, they're all weird but this one was extra weird. ( )
  BooksbyStarlight | Oct 25, 2022 |
Cute all-ages comic with nice illustrations and a good story line. Young readers just getting into comics should enjoy it. Something different from the superhero comics that tend to flood the market. ( )
  bookdrunkard78 | Jan 6, 2022 |
It's okay, but probably ultimately not my cup of tea. I never really got over how they inherited a new house in the first book and barely spent any time there ... so I may not be the target market, as I imagine most readers prefer action to redecorating.

(Note: 5 stars = amazing, wonderful, 4 = very good book, 3 = decent read, 2 = disappointing, 1 = awful, just awful. I'm fairly good at picking for myself so end up with a lot of 4s). ( )
  ashleytylerjohn | Oct 13, 2020 |
Although Emily and Navin managed to rescue their mother, she is now unconscious and slowly dying of poison. They use Silas's house to travel to the city of Kanalis, where they hope to find medicine that can cure her. Unfortunately, the main ingredient for that medicine is the fruit of the Gadoba tree, which hundreds have died trying to obtain. Meanwhile, Prince Trellis has been taken back to his father, the Elf King, who once again sends him out to find and kill (or capture?) Emily because she's a Stonekeeper. Trellis is accompanied by Luger, one of the Elf King's henchmen, to ensure that he'll do the job right this time.

Book 2 didn't work quite as well for me as Book 1. The world was still fabulous, I still generally liked the art, and the battle at the end was pretty cool, but the characters didn't really grab me and the revelations about the amulet, although not unexpected, were a little depressing. It sucks that Navin gets the uncomplicated joy of piloting something that's essentially a mecha house while Emily gets powers that come with a constant risk of corruption. Here's hoping she actually gets to enjoy her abilities at some point.

The detail about the residents of Kanalis being affected by a curse that gradually turned them into anthropomorphic animals was interesting and unexpected. And yeah, I noticed that Miskit never answered the question about whether the curse was contagious, so there might be an "Emily or Navin is turning into an animal" storyline in the future.

Emily and Navin were joined by Leon, an anthropomorphic fox who for some reason was destined to teach her how to use her powers (never mind that he wasn't a Stonekeeper himself, as far as I could tell). It's possible that the rest of the series could be devoted to Emily and Navin's efforts to help the rebellion against the Elf King. Although Trellis is still presented as an antagonist, just a different brand of evil than his father, I have a feeling his path is going to be that of the reformed villain who ends up joining forces with the rebellion.

Will I continue reading on? Maybe, but not right now. This is the last of the volumes I own, and I'm not interested enough in the series to buy or check out more.

(Original review posted on A Library Girl's Familiar Diversions.) ( )
  Familiar_Diversions | Aug 22, 2020 |
  lcslibrarian | Aug 13, 2020 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,002,042 books! | Top bar: Always visible