The Dragonlover's Guide to Pern (1989)

by Jody Lynn Nye

Other authors: James Clouse (Illustrator), Todd Cameron Hamilton (Illustrator), Holly Johnson (Designer), Anne McCaffrey (Author)

Series: Pern (companion)

An indispensable handbook to the wonderful world of Anne McCaffrey and her dragons. Lavishly illustrated, officially sanctioned, THE DRAGONLOVER'S GUIDE TO PERN brings to light the fantastic facts behind the bestselling stories. No Pern pilgrim will want to be without it.

I bought and read this book for the short story "the impression", which is ok but not fantastic. Overall the book isn't really my thing -- its mostly a potted history of Pern and a nearly exhaustive coverage of the various weyrs, holds and craft halls that inhabit the planet. To be honest, I'd rather learn that stuff as I read the series, instead of reading a summary. Overall I think this book isn't particularly great, although its nice to have read the short story at the right time in the sequence.

Having just read Dragonsdawn, there are also some inconsistencies which grated a little (the use of HNO3 for example, and how much knowledge of the Oort cloud the survey team had string to mind as examples).

http://www.stillhq.com/book/Anne_McCaffrey/The_Dragonlovers_Guide_to_Pern.html ( )
  mikal | Dec 8, 2009 |
All things Pern up to 1989 ( )
  Rhohanin61 | Mar 18, 2008 |
Dragonlover's Guide to Pern is a fairly exhaustive reference for the history and culture of Pern. If you ahve read the books and short stories, there is little that is new. There are recipies for bubbly pies, and klah, but beyond that there is little new. In fact, the story stops with the end of The White Dragon. There are some details from the Moreta stories and Dragon's Dawn, but the details of the founding of various Holds and Wyers don't match the stories in First Fall-The Chronicles of Pern.

The writing is uneven--probably because it was written by several people. Also, the edition I have has no maps. Given the ubiquity of the maps in the other books, this was a surprising omission. And there were several typos. ( )
  socialchild | Feb 1, 2008 |

McCaffrey,AnneAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Choi, MinCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hamilton, Todd C.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Harris, James RCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my grandmother, Estelle S. Nye, in whose costume shop I spent some of the best times of my life.
In the fall of 1987, Bill Fawcett, Todd Hamilton, Todd Johnson and I spent ten days in Anne McCaffrey's livingroom in Dragonhold in Ireland asking questions -- and, in Todd Hamilton's case, making sketches under her direction.  (Introduction)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,931,734 books! | Top bar: Always visible