War dances by Sherman Alexie

War dances (2009)

by Sherman Alexie

I enjoyed this collection of short stories and poetry by Sherman Alexie. They are fun, passionate and witty and filled with larger themes of identity and belonging, pride, redemption and failure. A captivating writer. One of my favorite collections of short stories. ( )
  Berly | Jan 28, 2015 |
An eclectic mix of short story and poetry. Some is endearing, some engaging, some is somewhat dark, most of it is interspersed with Alexie's wry humour. For me, not all of it worked, but it's worth it for when the story and/or the humour works, because then it's really good. ( )
  devilish2 | Jan 17, 2014 |
Great collection of short stories and poems. The central story "War Dances" is awesome. But there are other really good ones as well. ( )
  stuart10er | Nov 5, 2013 |
I listened to the author read his work and I was completely mesmerized. His reading was flawless and the poetic nature of these memoir-like pieces surfaced in all of the writing. Achingly honest, I would really recommended listening to the audio version. I could not turn it off! ( )
  St.CroixSue | Oct 8, 2013 |
Having recently seen Alexie during his book tour, I tried but could not evoke his voice while reading this. It's still good, of course, but better with his own narration.

I'm far down on the list at the library for new books by Margaret Atwood, Michael Chabon, Audrey Niffenegger, and Richard Russo. I'm a little sad that demand for Alexie should be so much less than theirs that I got it so quickly. But happy to have got it so quickly.
  ljhliesl | May 21, 2013 |
Alexie’s appealing collection of short stories, poems and self-interrogations opens with an attempted murder and closes with an epitaph. Mortality is much on the mind of this puckish writer, who continues to sift common truths through the sieve of his Indian identity, albeit with the alacrity of a man barreling away from his youth.

Sherman Alexieprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Jarvis, ChaseAuthor photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Woods, Charles RueCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Elisabeth, Morgan, Eric, and Deb
Back in college when I was first learning how to edit film--how to construct a scene--my professor, Mr. Baron, said to me, "You don't have to show people using a door to walk into a room.

Tour à tour désopilant , fantaisiste , poétique ou sardonique , cet indien-là a une eztraordinaire propension à rire e tout : des sien , de leur travers et des conformimes comme de leurs qualities et de leur naïveté , mais il sait aussi rire de lui meme...

A collection of short stories includes the title story, in which a famous writer, who just learned he may have a brain tumor, must decide how to care for his distant, American Indian father who is slowly dying.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,787,490 books! | Top bar: Always visible