When a whale beaches itself on the shore of the remote coastal town of Paradise Deep, the last thing any of the townspeople expect to find inside it is a man, silent and reeking of fish, but remarkably alive. The discovery of this mysterious person, soon christened Judah, sets the town scrambling for answers as its most prominent citizens weigh in on whether he is man or beast, blessing or curse, miracle or demon.… (more)

A rural Newfoundland family saga lapping across two centuries like the waves across a beach. Compared to Gabriel Garcia Marquez's tales of magical realism or Victor Lavalle's horror stories, Galore is a world both remote and extreme. the people of Paradise Deep persist in a realm where the line between the everyday and the otherworldly is impossible to distinguish. This is third book of Michael Crummey's that I have read, and I was hooked from the first chapter on this fever dream of a novel. ( )
  kerryp | Jul 4, 2020 |
This is a sprawling multi-generational book of two families, the Devines and the Sellers, set in a the small Newfoundland fishing village, Paradise Deep, from the mid 19th c. through World War I. It begins with a miraculous "birth" of a naked, pale, white man rescued from the belly of a beached whale. But the history of the families goes back further to the mysterious feud between the Widow Devine and "King-me" Sellers the matriarch and patriarch of the two families. Crummey explores the hard-scrabble Newfoundland life through times of plenty and times of scarcity. The stories of the families are told through multiple viewpoints that work to keep the reader engaged in the lives and trials of a surprising variety of characters. A highly entertaining read. ( )
  janeajones | May 22, 2019 |
Can't seem to finish this one. ( )
  karolynslowsky | Jul 22, 2018 |
I liked this quite a bit, but it wasn't the transcendent read for me that it seems to have been for others. Its tone reminded me a lot of something else that I've read--a little Love in the Time of Cholera, but something else, too. I was never able to put my finger on it. The writing in this book is lovely, but I never quite connected with the story and characters the way I wanted to. I did love the ending, though. ( )
  GaylaBassham | May 27, 2018 |
Sometimes the best reads are books randomly picked up at the library. I was looking for a different book when the cover of this one caught my eye. So glad I decided to take it home with me! A mixture of historical fiction and magical realism, it really fit into what I was looking to read right now!

Galore is a multi-generational tale centred in Newfoundland following six generations of two families and the town that surrounds them. Starting with King-me Sellers (named as his is on the only checkerboard in town) and his feud with Devine's Widow over the curse that King-me believes that Devine's widow has cast upon his family. The novel follows the dynamic between these two families all the way down to their great great great grandchildren.
Crummey makes this book flow in a way that I have never read before. Years pass between sentences and generations pass quickly before your eyes. I found it very hard to put this book down. ( )
  ChelleBearss | Mar 10, 2018 |
Newfoundland author Crummey’s award-winning third novel, published in Canada in 2009, affirms that our lives are always astonishing. It’s been justly compared to Gabriel García Márquez’s One Hundred Years of Solitude. It also calls to mind Graham Swift’s Waterland and Alexis Wright’s Carpentaria, as well as William Faulkner’s epic Compson novels, and will appeal to readers who enjoyed those works.

Crummey lovingly carves out the privation and inner intricacies that mark his characters' lives with folkloric embellishments and the precision of the finest scrimshaw.
added by Christa_Josh | editPublishers Weekly (Jan 3, 2011)

An intriguing read.
added by Christa_Josh | editResource Links, Margaret Mackey (Oct 1, 2010)

The invincible power that has moved the world is unrequited, not happy, love.  -- Gabriel Garcia Marquez
I will bring my people again from the depths of the sea.  -- Psalms
for Arielle, Robin and Ben
He ended his time on the shore in a makeshift asylum cell, shut away with the profligate stink of fish that clung to him all his days.

When a whale beaches itself on the shore of the remote coastal town of Paradise Deep, the last thing any of the townspeople expect to find inside it is a man, silent and reeking of fish, but remarkably alive. The discovery of this mysterious person, soon christened Judah, sets the town scrambling for answers at its most prominent citizens weigh in on whether he is a man or beast, blessing or curse, miracle or demon. Though Judah is a shocking addition to the town's population, Paradise Deep is already full of unusual characters. King-me Sellers, self-appointed patriarch, has it in for an inscrutable woman known only as Devine's Widow, with whom has has a decades-old feud. Her granddaughter, Mary Tryphena, is just a child when Judah washes ashore, but finds herself tied to him all her life in ways she never expects. Galore is the story of the saga the develops between these two families, full of bitterness and love, spanning two centuries. (978159-514344)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,295,631 books! | Top bar: Always visible