Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

The Glass Lake by Maeve Binchy

The Glass Lake (1994)

by Maeve Binchy

Recently added byCoHo, private library, IrinaDemler, LoisMMurray, whitefieldpl, brimfield, JayeJ, oscard07, WritingMom

English (24)  French (1)  All languages (25)
Maeve Binchy has written another winner about a family in Lough Glass, Ireland. Binchy's characters are always a strong point of her novels. By the end of the book, you are believing that they are real people. Book is a bit long but the pages are flying fast as you can't get enough of the story. The ending was sad and a surprise to me. I'm looking forward to my next Binchy book. I would recommend her books to those who love to read about Ireland. ( )
  EadieB | Aug 12, 2018 |
I found that the story didn't grab my interest even though I finished it. It was a long slow moving book and at the end it felt unfinished. I would not recommend it. ( )
  MyaB | Apr 25, 2018 |
I read this book 10 or so years ago and recently reread it. Good book and the story kept me so intrigued. I had to make myself go to bed at night and quit reading. Binchy is one of my favorite authors and I've read all of her books. ( )
  songbird72 | Feb 25, 2018 |
terrible ending ( )
  TanyaRead | Nov 26, 2017 |
I listened to this book and really liked it. The story takes places in Ireland and concerns the story of Kitt McMahon who at the age of 12 lost her mother who disappeared. A boat was found floating the lake and some people thought Helen McMahon killed herself. Kitt finds a letter in her father's home and afraid it was a suicide letter, she burns it so her mother could be buried in the catholic graveyard if found. Eventually a body is found and everyone assumes it is Helen. Years later, she discovers that her mother didn't die but left the family to go with a man, Louis Gray, whom she has always loved. She married Kitt's father after Louis left her and she was always honest with her husband that she didn't love him. The story shows Helen's life in London with Louis as well as Kitt's life in Lough Glass as she grows up and goes to school and finds love with a local man. I really enjoyed this book.
  taurus27 | Aug 26, 2017 |

Schermer-Rauwolf, GerlindeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schmidt, AndreaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Weiß, RobertTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my dearest Gordon,
with the greatest gratitude for everything
and with all my love
Kit always thought that the Pope had been at her mother and father's wedding.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440221595, Mass Market Paperback)

In the tradition of her beloved novel Circle of Friends, Irish novelist Maeve Binchey offers a wonderful old-fashioned melodrama with a contemporary cast of compelling characters. A sly, seductive, and compulsively readable book, perfect for rainy afternoons and late nights in bed.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:08 -0400)

Unable to come to terms with her misfit mother's bouts of depression, Kit McMahon finds escape in her evening vigils along the lake shore, until her mother's sudden death changes Kit's life.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,495,594 books! | Top bar: Always visible