Dead Man's Song by Jonathan Maberry

Dead Man's Song (2007)

by Jonathan Maberry

174None68,073 (3.91)6

In Maberry’s fiction novel, Pine Deep, Pennsylvania wakes up one morning to the bloodbath of a savage murderer. Every thirty years it happens and the locals believe it to be connected to the death of a serial killer long ago. A monstrous evil is preying on the living and the only hope they have is to find the source. But secrets are buried deep in the village and to locate the source they will fight for their souls.
Gruesome, scary and suspense filled. ( )
  debbieaheaton | Mar 30, 2013 |
This book dragged on and gave too much detail, with a lot of repetition. Also, there were a number of grammatial or typographic errors that became annoying. This is the seond in a trilogy and while I want to see how things come out, I've read much better horror fiction. ( )
  Ed_Gosney | Jan 31, 2012 |
Good continuation of this trilogy. The characters continue to deal with the evil in their small town and the evil is growing in stature. Halloween is coming and so is the anticipation of what will happen in the final chapter. ( )
  bnbookgirl | Nov 15, 2011 |
Opinions vary. I found this second book in the Pine Deep trilogy to be draggy at times. I enjoyed how the master plot evolves and exposes, turning a 'ghost' story into something closer to a 'monster' tale.

Maberry also threw more twists into the mix. Some are cheap shots, where a reader has no chance to pick up or notice a critical item. I'm thinking of when Val meets Boyd in the barn near the end. I mean, we know Vic has some sort of special bullets in his Luger. There was no hint that what Val did to Boyd was even possible. I call that a cheap shot.

Maberry is holding back a lot on the bad guys. I understand he needs to do that for suspense but I'm feeling the need for more foreshadowing, such as how the roach swarm reacted to sunlight or the note saying that the found dime on a string is going to save Newt's life. Those were sweet touches.

On the other hand, Maberry is doing a masterful job of exposing Mike's empowerment, bit by bit and with foreshadowing. When he does whatever he'll do (I assume in the next book) it should not feel so cheap. He's also deconstructing Terry nicely. When he takes drastic action it was believable by then.

Another benefit of such an extended series is my complaint about cliche characters is diminished. They are starting to feel more three-dimensional and unique.

Definitely looking forward to the third book and some sort of showdown, now that more characters know something is supernaturally wrong. ( )
  Penforhire | Apr 27, 2011 |
In Pine Deep, a town known for its supernatural composition, evil never dies. Thirty years ago a massacre reared its ugly head and a group of children survived only to find themselves facing a similar terror today. The book starts with a trio of criminals arriving at a local prominent farm. Needless to say, bad things happen. However, it becomes clear quite quickly that there is a supernatural factor at work and that a darker evil is brewing. The survivors from before begin to notice a pattern of blight and murder resurfacing that they thought they buried many years ago.

Jonathan Maberry does a pretty decent job at keeping the pace of the story going, but at times I was tempted to skim ahead a few pages to see if the action would pick up. The story is reminiscent of Stephen King: Large cast of characters, good vs. evil and a great deal of psychological horror blended with the gore. However, where Maberry let me down was with the dialogue. Conversations felt very forced and lines that were intended to be witty fell short with a groan. Another beef I had was a section about 3/4 of the way through that spent just a little too much time describing every element of two characters' romantic rendezvous. The scene felt very out of place and did nothing to enhance the story.

In spite of the books faults, I want to know more about Pine Deep. I have a very strong suspicion that book three in the Pine Deep trilogy will be added to my bookshelf in the near future. A fairly quick read with some unique twists on the vampire/werewolf mythos. ( )
1 vote JechtShot | Feb 10, 2011 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 078601816X, Paperback)

From the powerful imagination of a new horror master comes a bone-chilling tale set in a small town where good and evil are joined in a terrifying, deadly battle...

Evil Endures
Once an idyllic Pennsylvania village, Pine Deep awoke one morning to find itself bathed in a massive bloodletting. Twice in thirty years the townsfolk have endured the savage hungers of a murderous madman...but if the residents think the death of serial killer Karl Ruger put an end to the carnage, they're dead wrong.

The Nightmare Never Ends
Bodies mutilated beyond description, innocents driven to acts of vicious madness. A monstrous evil is preying on the living--and the dead--and turning the quiet little town into hell on earth. Their only hope is to find the source. But the secrets that lurk in the heart of Pine Deep are twisted into its very roots. This time the townspeople aren't just fighting for their lives, but for their very souls...

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:03:41 -0400)

Residents of Pine Deep, Pennsylvania, hope the death of serial killer Karl Ruger will end the nightmare for their town. The horrible killings continue, however, and who or what can stop this evil?

Jonathan Maberry is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Author Chat

Jonathan Maberry chatted with LibraryThing members from Mar 22, 2010 to Apr 4, 2010. Read the chat.

28 wanted3 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,455,974 books! | Top bar: Always visible