Nemesis by Agatha Christie

Nemesis (1971)

by Agatha Christie

Series: Miss Marple (11), Miss Marple: Chronological (22)

Sleeping Murder by Agatha Christie (Porua)
    Porua: The motive and method reminds me a little of another Miss Marple mystery, Sleeping Murder.

English (44)  Spanish (1)  Danish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (47)
Sleeping Murder was the last published Miss Marple novel but was written some 30 years earlier. That makes Nemesis the final Miss Marple novel that she wrote. And, it is a fine coda to the old sleuth.

After learning of the death of Mr. Rafiel, whom she had met during “A Caribbean Mystery,” Miss Marple receives a summons to a lawyer. Mr. Rafiel has left instructions, and a potential financial reward, for Jane to take on her role of Nemesis once again and find justice. The only problem is that Mr. Rafiel has left no information about the case – at all. She doesn’t know who needs justice, or was denied justice. She assumes it has to do with a murder, since it was a murder that brought her into Rafiel’s circle. So, a good portion of the opening has Miss Marple blindly searching for direction. It isn’t until she is contacted to take an all-expense paid tour, arranged by Rafiel, that the suspects are introduced, and the mystery begins to unfold.

The book is relatively long (compared to other Marple books), and I was initially afraid it would be a meandering, boring mess like “At Betram’s Hotel”. The first third was very slow, but it picked up significantly in the second half. I liked the mystery: a young man in prison for murder, the deaths of two young girls years ago, and a fellow passenger now. And, it made sense why Rafiel kept Jane in the dark – he wanted her to investigate without any preconceived ideas. The mystery was very good, but I enjoyed much more that Miss Marple was actively engaged throughout. There is no police inspector taking the lead; no frequent switching between character POVs. It’s all Jane – and that makes the story better than it would have been otherwise. Plus, Jane is quite old by now and the danger more acute when the killer begins to see her as a threat.

Overall, while not Christie’s best Miss Marple mystery, I loved that Nemesis focuses almost exclusively on Miss Marple and that it tied to a previous book. The resolution was well supported, if a trifle predictable, and the final showdown was more exciting than one would expect from an elderly sleuth. ( )
  jshillingford | Oct 12, 2018 |
And so we come to the end of the line, the last Miss Marple in my ordered re-read. I'm sorry to say goodbye to Jane, who as always is the smartest cookie in the tin, the brightest bulb in the chandelier, the sharpest knife in the drawer. She takes on a posthumous challenge from Mr. Rafiel, whom we met in A Caribbean Mystery, and solves a decade-old multiple murder mystery without dropping a stitch in her nonstop knitting of babies' jackets and fluffy pink shawls. What a woman. ( )
  rosalita | Mar 14, 2018 |
“Our code word, Miss Marple, is Nemesis.”

Miss Marple receives a letter from an old acquaintance of hers, Jason Rafiel. The only thing is, he’s dead. His death is not unexpected—he was not in good health when they met—but his reason for writing is. Describing her as having a flair for evil, he asks her to investigate a crime and restore justice. There’s a financial incentive in it for her, but it’s the mystery that provides the bigger motivation. What could a coach tour of famous homes and gardens possibly have to do with a miscarriage of justice?

I find the Miss Marple books so much more resonant personally now that I myself am older and have a grandmother who resembles Marple somewhat (although she doesn’t solve mysteries, at least not to my knowledge). It is reassuring to read about an elderly lady who lives at home still, with some home help, and sufficient physical and mental stimulation to get her through the days.

This particular case of Marple’s is not bad. I would probably have rated it 3.5, but I docked half a star for Professor Wanstead’s (among others) appalling remarks on “girls these days” who are thought to be falsely reporting rape after regretting a sexual experience. One interjection of this nature, I would have rolled my eyes at and not mentioned in this review, but it comes up multiple times and is totally overdone. ( )
  rabbitprincess | Jan 24, 2018 |
I've seen several film versions of this story. I am not sure whether the book is best in this case or not. The TV series versions shift some of the scenes and even bring in Miss Marple's nephew as her travelling companion, and I rather liked those changes. The book is great, walking the reader through the case without giving anything away too soon or springing new evidence on the reader in the conclusion to solve the case. Some of the characters in this novel espouse awfully sexist perspectives on women, which I though interesting since the sleuth is a woman and so is the killer in this book. Miss Marple seems content to let her example answer all the sexism and ageism she encounters, but clearly the author was addressing gender stereotypes and other prejudices through her characters in this novel. ( )
  JBarringer | Dec 30, 2017 |
I didn't remember this book very well at all, but of course I have seen the Joan Hickson adaptation. Even so, I found that I was not completely sure about who did it (I remembered that it was one of the sisters but Christie was very good at her misdirection!)

Emilia Fox did a fine job narrating. ( )
1 vote leslie.98 | Dec 6, 2017 |

Agatha Christieprimary authorall editionscalculated
Adams, TomCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ayres, RosalindNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fonticoli, DianaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hickson, JoanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thommessen, GunnarTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Five Complete Miss Marple Novels: The Body in the Library, A Caribbean Mystery, The Mirror Crack'd, Nemesis, What Mrs. McGillicuddy Saw! by Agatha Christie

Nemesis [and] The Mirror Crack'd From Side to Side by Agatha Christie

Neiti Marplen murhat by Agatha Christie

Miss Marple Omnibus (Volume 3) by Agatha Christie

Postmark: Murder: A Caribbean Mystery / Nemesis / Murder in Mesopotamia / Appointment With Death by Agatha Christie

A Fine and Private Place | The Case of the Postponed Murder | Nemesis by Detective Book Club

Has the adaptation

to daphne honeybone
In the afternoons it was the custom of Miss Jane Marple to unfold her second newspaper.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451200187, Paperback)

"How pleasant to meet Miss Marple again." -Literary Times Supplement

So pleasant in fact, she was the Anthony Award Winner for Best Series of the Century. Here she solves a crime that not only has no body, no weapon, and no suspects, but no evidence that a crime has even been committed. All Miss Marple has to go on is one single word: nemesis.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:27 -0400)

When Jane Marple receives an unusual letter from Jason Rafiel, a week after his death, she is led into a web of suspense

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,502,520 books! | Top bar: Always visible