Sleeping Murder (1976)

by Agatha Christie

Series: Miss Marple (13), Miss Marple: Chronological (12)

3,569612,699 (3.8)1 / 129
Soon after Gwenda moved into her new home, odd things started to happen. Despite her best efforts to modernise the house, she only succeeded in dredging up its past. Worse, she felt an irrational sense of terror every time she climbed the stairs... In fear, Gwenda turned to Miss Marple to exorcise her ghosts. Between them, they were to solve a 'perfect' crime committed many years before.… (more)
    Nemesis by Agatha Christie (Porua)
    Porua: The motive and method reminds me a little of another Miss Marple mystery, Nemesis.
    Lost Man's Lane by Anna Katharine Green (DeusXMachina)
    DeusXMachina: Ancient women detectives

English (55)  Spanish (3)  Danish (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (61)
The first couple of chapters are terrifying... especially if you read them home alone, in the dark. I must say, I enjoyed the thrill (as tame as my taste is). But after that it relaxed a bit and I finished the last couple of chapters happy in the knowledge that I had successfully pinpointed the murderer(but completely miffed the motive). ( )
  OutOfTheBestBooks | Sep 24, 2021 |
And with that, I have finished the last of the Miss Marple novels.

Enjoyable! Spent a great morning just working on a puzzle and listening to this.

The beginning of the story is quite eerie, and the resulting mystery fun to try to puzzle out. A unique spin, as the murder happens twenty years before the events of the book begin. Gwenda and Giles are great main characters and try very hard as amateur sleuths, and Miss Marple is a delight as always.

Interesting to find out that Christie sat on this one for thirty-five years, and it was only published in the year after her death. Writing the last book of a longstanding series well in advance seems to me like a great idea, and has worked out great here -- ensuring Miss Marple finishes on a fresh, vigorous note, instead of petering out as Christie used up all her best ideas (though, did that ever really happen?). ( )
  misslevel | Sep 22, 2021 |
One of her best - newlyweds Giles and Gwenda move to Britain from NZ and coincidentally buy the house that Gwenda had lived in as a young child, the house from which her young stepmother had disappeared eighteen years earlier. Gwenda, alarmingly, begins to remember more about that time, and fortunately Miss Marple gets involved. The more they uncover, the more things begin to get dangerous. Re-read this not long after reading Professor Monckton-Smith's book "In Control" about coercive control and how it leads to murder and there are parallels in this much earlier fictional work.. ( )
  Figgles | May 9, 2021 |
In this short Miss Marple mystery, a young couple purchased a home. It invokes a memory in the young woman of a strangled woman named Helen. After meeting Miss Marple who encourages the woman to write to someone who may know if she'd ever lived in England, she finds the woman she saw was probably her stepmother. However, no one ever suspected the woman dead. The story told at the time was the woman ran off. Untangling eighteen years of lies, the couple, with the help of Miss Marple, find the truth. I knew from the moment we first met the guilty party who it was, but it was still a fun romp with Miss Marple via a Full Cast BBC production audiobook. ( )
  thornton37814 | Apr 22, 2021 |
Ok, I have Agatha Christie broken, after all her books, I know enough of how she makes her mysteries to pick out the murderer very early on, but also it is not a problem. You still have that self doubt, and even in books where I know for sure who the murderer is, the books are still readable. Agatha Christie really is a master of mystery.

So the book is about a young woman, coming to a house in the south of England and suddenly recalling of memories(?) of a strangled lady. Luckily she is a friend of a friend of Ms Marple (aren't everyone. :-) ) so she is not on her own.

bratell | Dec 25, 2020 |

Schönfeld, EvaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Verheydt, J.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

Gwenda Reed stood, shivering a little, on the quayside.
This is the main work for Sleeping Murder by Agatha Christie. Please do not combine with any adaptation, abridgement, etc.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,492,501 books! | Top bar: Always visible