Half the Sky: Turning Oppression into Opportunity for Women Worldwide

by Nicholas D. Kristof, Sheryl WuDunn

Two Pulitzer Prize winners issue a call to arms against our era's most pervasive human rights violation: the oppression of women in the developing world. They show that a little help can transform the lives of women and girls abroad and that the key to economic progress lies in unleashing women's potential.… (more)

English (77)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (79)
Half the Sky is an extremely powerful book detailing the suffering many women in developing countries face on a daily basis. Kristof details the cultural beliefs in many regions which perpetuate discrimatory practices which women may face, from lack of medical care in preference of boys, lack of educational opportunities, genital mutilation, forced prostitution, and second class citizenship. As hard as these realities are to face, and as depressing as the information may be, Kristof does describe some programs which are working, and opportunities to help on a small scale. This is an important book which should make all Americans appreciate how lucky we are living in the U.S. ( )
  rsutto22 | Jul 15, 2021 |
Adult nonfiction. Horrific and uplifting at the same time; these are some really powerful stories. Greg Mortensen claims to have read it in a single sitting (staying up until 3am) and I can believe it. The number one recommended "thing you can do to help in the next 10 minutes" in the list at the end of the book is to make a microloan (e.g., through kiva.org). ( )
  reader1009 | Jul 3, 2021 |
Wow. I absolutely love this book and want to rush out and buy it for all my friends and family. Brutally eye opening and packed with some startling statistics. I only wish I had read this sooner and closer to it's publish date because I feel like I'm missing half the picture without more current statistics. I also appreciated that the authors do propose actions the reader can take. The book isn't interested in just telling you about these issues but also getting you involved in working towards a solution. Whether or not their 4 steps are the correct course of action I don't know but I liked that they gave readers a starting point.

I've read a few reviews criticizing the tone and can't say I didn't bump on that a couple of times myself but overall I feel the power this book has had in motivating and educating me is worth the 5 stars. ( )
  mackinsquash | Aug 15, 2020 |
Can't recommend this one enough. ( )
  Brandon_Smith | Sep 14, 2019 |
Please read this book. If you care about poverty, brutality, or women in any way, read this book. Half the Sky is full of terrible and uncomfortable things but there is simply no way to address the horror of what is happening in this world without those. So please read it anyway. Because it doesn't just tell you how awful it is, it tells what is being done about it and how you can help. It tells you what has worked and what hasn't worked. It tells why things succeeded or failed. It gives you a list of options as to how you can become involved.

You may not agree with every conclusion drawn in Half the Sky. I certainly don't. However, this book is an exceptional tool which will empower you to empower others. ( )
  Zoes_Human | Jun 16, 2018 |
It is a testament to their skills as writers and reporters that they've managed to write this call to action without having to raise their voices. The facts, as they learned long ago in China, speak loudly enough.

Half the Sky manages to be inspiring and engrossing rather than numbing.

An ancient Chinese proverb goes that women hold up half the sky. Nicholas D. Kristof and Sheryl WuDunn want that to be appreciated — on the ground. In the opening pages of this gripping call to conscience, the husband-and-wife team come out swinging: “Gendercide,” the daily slaughter of girls in the developing world, steals more lives in any given decade “than all the genocides of the 20th century.” No wonder Kristof and WuDunn, whose coverage of China for The New York Times won them a Pulitzer Prize, declare the global struggle for women’s equality “the paramount moral challenge” of our era.

Even with [its] stains, Half the Sky remains a thrilling manifesto for advancing freedom for hundreds of millions of human beings.
added by Shortride | editSlate, Johann Hari (Sep 14, 2009)

Kristof, Nicholas D.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
WuDunn, Sherylmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Campbell, CassandraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For our children: Gregory, Geoffrey, and Caroline. Thanks for your love and patience when research for this book meant grumpy or absent parents and less cheering at your soccer games. You've enriched our journeys through difficult and oppressive countries, and you're wonderful kids to be arrested with!
And for all those on the front lines around the globe, saving the world, one woman at a time.
Srey Rath is a self-confident Cambodian teenager whose black hair tumbles over a round, light brown face.
The red-light district in the town of Forbesgunge does not actually have any red lights.
"Women hold up half the sky." - Chinese Proverb
What would men be without women? Scarce, sir, mighty scarce.- Mark Twain
Women might just have something to contribute to civilization other than their vaginas. - Christopher Buckley, Florence of Arabia
Although volume upon volume is written to prove slavery a very good thing, we never hear of the man who wishes to take the good of it, by being a slave himself. - Abraham Lincoln
Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress, therefore, depends on unreasonable people.- George Bernard Shaw

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,563,777 books! | Top bar: Always visible