The New Moosewood Cookbook

by Mollie Katzen

Since its original publication in 1977, this influential and enormously popular cookbook has been at the forefront of the revolution in American eating habits. Moosewood was listed by the New York Times as one of the top ten bestselling cookbooks of all time, and no wonder. With her sophisticated, easy-to-prepare vegetarian recipes, charming pen-and-ink drawings, hand lettering, and conversational tone, Mollie introduced millions to a more healthful, natural way of cooking.… (more)

A fabulous vegetarian cookbook, with a diverse collection of recipes, the Moosewood Cookbook was originally published in 1977, and is an outgrowth of the Moosewood Restaurant in Ithaca, NY. Like many cookbooks, it is divided into sections, which include: Soups; Salads; Sauces and Dips; Baked Things and Sandwiches; Entrees; and Desserts. There are also some helpful introductory comments about modifications, pantry notes, tools, and conversions.

Despite the fact that I am no longer a vegetarian, I use this cook book frequently, particularly the section on soups. Although I have not tried every recipe in the book, I have yet to come across one that I didn't like. Some of my favorites include: Summer Vegetable Soup; Split Pea Soup; Lentil Soup; Balkan Cucumber Salad; Cauliflower Cheese Pie; Ukrainian Poppy Seed Cake; and Moosewood Fudge Brownies.

The recipes themselves are laid out in a sensible fashion, well organized, with clear instructions. Many of the pages are embellished with Mollie Katzen's hand-drawn decorations. This new edition also includes some color photographs. In summary: easy to use, great-tasting food... what's not to love? ( )
  AbigailAdams26 | Jul 1, 2013 |
This is a great cookbook, but I really loved the original. If I could find a copy, I would keep both. ( )
  Bjace | Sep 26, 2011 |
Very promising recipes. Not boring neo-Puritan "Small Planet" . ( )
  BraveKelso | Mar 20, 2010 |
Not technically vegan but vegetarian. I know I've read this cookbook before and enjoyed it.

The recipes are pretty simple and I like the cutesy, handwritten style of the book. You can tell that a lot of love went into it. There are definitely a bunch of recipes that I plan to try out. Most of the recipes in the book are pretty standard, so it's probably a good cookbook for somebody looking to go vegetarian but who doesn't know how to cook. ( )
  lemontwist | Dec 28, 2009 |
I absolutely loved this book. I am not a vegetarian, but I love fresh tasting, ethnic foods made with great ingredients. I also love trying something new. This cookbook was just packed with recipes I wanted to try. I started copying the recipes I wanted to make, but gave up after I got to about 6, and realized that I just need to buy the book! The one recipe I did try, Spicy Peanut Soup, was so yummy. I made it for my poor sick hubby and he loved it too. I did copy the recipe for that and posted it on my blog.

My only complaint, and it's not really a complaint, is that there are lots of unusual ingredients in here that require a little shopping around. But I think it would be worth it! I just wish I was planning a trip to Ithaca to try the food in person. ( )
  cmbohn | Jun 10, 2009 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,384,922 books! | Top bar: Always visible