Alpha by Rachel Vincent

Alpha

by Rachel Vincent

Series: Shifters (6)

“He went down like a cheerleader after prom.”

Unfortunately while the series starting improving in the middle, it fell apart again at the end. I wanted to kill half the characters in this book myself, on both the good and bad side.

This book was supposed to be the wrap-up all the other stories was leading to - and we do get to see more internal power struggles with the annoying council I want to choke. There weren't really surprises with the decisions and outcome since it was already to us in previous books who would vote for whom. Even if the final book holds no surprises, there are some crucial events that happened - a few fights, Faythe actually loses a few things for a change, a major death, and of course an ending that I expected.

I don't care how good, bad, or average the storyline is - it was hampered a lot because Faythe was incredibly irritating. I've said in previous reviews that her smug attitude came across bitchy rather than heroic, and she does sometimes make things worse for herself.

I can understand her temper here, but the main issue I hold now is her constant whining about feeling lonely by her two men because they're keeping distance from her. Yeah, she feels bad about her betrayal and the 'luv triangle', but the author kept showing the character with a broken heart and moaning how much she needed someone. It even goes as far where she has to have conversations with her parents about it separately, then her brother, and anyone who would listen. I kept expecting one of them to finally say, well, what'd you expect??

It was beyond trashy for her to allow a kiss to happen in the room next to the alphas meeting when they all know what's been going on and the situation is already hostile, especially with the other half of the love triangle sitting outside. Her brushing it off as needing someone is never an excuse to act like that, I hold no sympathy with that scene.

Then there was the annoying problem where she kept thinking to herself that she can't choose, she can't lose them both - and we have to hear other characters randomly bring this up to her too. There is a major character death and he used dying advice to tell her how important it is to 'choose' her love triangle. Really? Really? It's not small potatoes but is the stupid decision elevated to that importance, for last dying words!?!

Sigh: “I want you. I want you so badly I can’t stand it. When you left, it felt like the world got darker. Like I couldn’t truly see anything. Couldn’t feel anything.”

It makes little sense to me she'd start having heartbreak and panic attacks before major war fights or in these emergencies because of her hormonal cravings. The end makes sense of her choice, I guess, but it's not surprising. All that build up was wasted, there was no point to this love triangle through the last books, except perhaps to irritate me.

It doesn't help that I no longer really feel romantic attachments to any of the characters. Their relationships are just kind of there but I'm not feeling it.

The major death was a sad blow since it was a favorite character of mine. I saw it coming a mile off and figured before picking this up that it would be the case, but it was still difficult. The author wrote the grieving scenes convincingly well and isn't the type who dismisses loss easily.

I was happy to see the Thunderbirds return for brief stints - they're fierce and vicious but the ending was awesome with their inclusion.

Overall I had too many issues to rate this book higher than 3 stars - the good rating was earned because of the wrap-up being well done for important plot points and decent battles, but there were plenty of problems to endure.

ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
This was definitely one of my favorite series & I'm sad its over. But I would love to see a spinoff series featuring Jace! ( )
  Bambi_Unbridled | Mar 19, 2016 |
Faythe is having to deal with Jace and Marc as well as the council. Doesn't help when your dad gets voted down as head of the council, go to war expecting that it would be a surprise but they brought guns. Greg gets shot and Faythe is made Alpha. Malone learns of their plans and sets Faythe up to fall and she does - hard. This is an action packed wrap up to this series. I'll miss the series and look forward to seeing what Ms Vincent comes up with in the non-YA world. ( )
  pnwbookgirl | Feb 7, 2016 |
E si conclude, infine, la serie Shifter.
E mi spiace un pò dirlo, per me non con una soddisfazione piena. Non completamente.
A conti fatti quest’ultimo capitolo mi ha un pò deluso, devo ammetterlo.
Nonostante la tensione, le scene clou, le emozioni non siano di certo mancate, quello che già negli scorsi due volumi si stava trascinando come un peso morto -il rapporto tra Faythe, Jace e Marc- appesantisce sempre più una situazione di per sè già pesante dati gli avvenimenti alquanto cupi del romanzo.
Era iniziato nelle passate letture questo triangolo di rabbia, incertezza e dubbi. E già allora mi aveva un pò infastidito, ma avevo cercato di non dargli un peso eccessivo nella convinzione che poi…si, insomma…che alla fine tutto avrebbe avuto un suo perchè. Che un gesto, una situazione avrebbe ribaltato gli eventi in modo eclatante, scenografico come già era successo con altre.
Invece L’ultimo graffio riprende e continua fino alla fine con questa fase di stallo. I dubbi di Faythe su chi ama chi e perchè ama lui e non l’altro. Ossignore, BASTA!
Non aveva abbastanza problemi essendo diventata il nuovo alpha? Con i clan rivali che vogliono sottometterla e in ultimo ucciderla? Con le responsabilità, le morti, le decisioni…
Insomma è come se l’autrice non avesse avuto più “idee buone” per risolvere una situazione di per sè semplice. Oppure, ancora peggio, è come se avesse perso di vista la “giusta misura” per rendere interessante il triangolo e fosse quindi scaduta nel banale e ripetitivo.
La serie Shifters è partita con ottimi spunti, originali e interessanti, è avanzata tutto sommato abbastanza bene, con anche alcuni bei colpi di scenati, è proseguita con oscillazioni non indifferenti e in conclusione è atterrata alquanto malamente. Magari se l’autrice avesse ridotto i romanzi a 4 e non avesse cercercato di scrivere sul nulla le cose sarebbero state un pò diverse. Ma…ma. Ma come si dice “con i ma e con i se non si fa la storia” quindi proseguiamo con le prossime letture…e lasciamo che la Vincent migliori quelle che, comunque sia, sono buone capacità ;) . ( )
  AzureStrawberry | Jan 12, 2016 |
So it looks like I'm the first woman to review this book on amazon, which doesn't really surprise me.

This is definitely a man's book, and I'm sure many women will get offended. If you can get over being a woman, and just read the book as Frank's view of the world, women can enjoy this book too.

I found it interesting, disturbing, thought provoking, cringe-worthy, funny and so macho that I had to shake my head a few times.
It is a very well written book, but the content isn't for everyone. However, I am not bothered by swearing, graphic sex and violence so found the book more entertaining than offensive.

One thing you have to give Frank, whether you like the book or not, he grabs life by the balls and squeezes every bit out of it. He decides what he wants and goes for it, with full abandon. He doesn't have a shy or self-doubting bone in his body. His ego is gigantic, but he gets what he wants.

Who doesn't envy that? Set goal, attain them, every single one, because you have no doubt at all that you will.
  katsmiao | Oct 23, 2015 |

Vincent, RachelAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Van Dyck, JenniferNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

The unscrupulous new Council chair has charged Jace, Marc, and me with trespassing, kidnapping, murder, and treason. Yeah, we have been busy. But now it is time to take justice into our own hands. We must avenge my brothers death and carve out the rot at the heart of the Council. It is not going to be easy, and loss seems unavoidable, but I have promised to protect my Pride, no matter what. With a target on my back and Marc at my side, I am heading for a final showdown that can - that will - change everything forever.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,604,018 books! | Top bar: Always visible