Arthur and the Poetry Contest by Marc Brown
198359,376 (4)2

I was surprised by how much I liked this book. Something that really amazed me while I was reading it was that the episode of Arthur that this book was modeled after was playing through my head the entire time. I cannot believe I actually watched Arthur that much! One really great thing about this book is how relateable it is for kids, and even me as a college student. Fern bets everyone that they won't be able to write a poem for the poetry contest at the library and the book outlines the struggle all the kids have writing one. They complain about it and think they will never be able to write one. In the end, they all are able to write their own unique poem, which conveys they idea that poetry comes in many different forms and anyone can write a poem if they just take the time to do it. The book also illustrates ways to learn how to write poetry, such as through modelling, which Buster and Arthur try to do after the poem "Paul Revere's Ride". Overall, the book shows how to think about poems and go about writing them, making it somewhat educational as well as enjoyable. The characters were interesting to read about as well, especially Fern. Early in the book it is mentioned that "Fern never says anything", so it is shocking to the kids that she signed up for the poetry contest. However, she is the one who bets everyone that they cannot write a poem in two days and even gets up to read her poem first at the contest. Her character development was great. This relates to the big idea of the book, which is people may surprise you if you give them the chance. This is shown through the kids who surprise themselves by being able to write a poem and Fern showing everyone that she has talents and skills that are worth sharing. ( )
  lstec2 | Mar 19, 2014 |
As one of the Arthur chapter book series, this book is a great gateway into longer children's fiction books. It contains one black and white full-page illustration per short chapter, and is a great transition from Marc Brown's picture book series.
  Laura_Martorana | Dec 9, 2012 |
Another children's book just for fun. I am trying to clear out all the books my children read while in school. Arthur's friend Fern loves poetry and decides to enter the poetry contest at school. Mr. Ratburn is not happy that only one student has entered.

Fern bets all the children in her class that they cannot write a poem. If they don't write one than they have to join the poetry club. Mr. Prelutsky who is a poet will be doing a reading and then judging the contest.

I enjoyed reading the poems the children were trying to write. Some of the poems were a little gross but the person who wrote them enjoys that kind of stuff. ( )
  crazy4reading | Aug 12, 2011 |

Marc Brownprimary authorall editionscalculated
Krensky, Stephenmain authorall editionsconfirmed

Arthur's class is holding a poetry contest. When Fern is the only one who enters, she dares Arthur and his friends to write a poem - or else enrol in the poetry club for a whole year! They quickly agree to the challenge but discover that writing poetry is much harder than they thought. Will Arthur, Buster, Francine and Muffy be able to write poems good enough to read in front of the whole class?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:21 -0400)

When Buster rescues a cat stuck in a tree he is treated like a hero, but when he begins to enjoy his celebrity a little too much, his friends devise a plan to bring him back to his old self.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,634,278 books! | Top bar: Always visible