Free for All: Fixing School Food in America…

Free for All: Fixing School Food in America (2010)

by Janet Poppendieck

An interesting look at food in American schools. This looks at school lunches in various aspects, including sociological, educational, physical and mental. It was interesting to see the effects of what the lack of food has on academic performance, personality and overall well being on a student.

It was a little tedious though, and arguably comes across as more of a textbook than anything else. ( )
  acciolibros | Feb 11, 2018 |
An excellent book if you are interested in school food. However, it is not a casual read. The writer is a professor of sociology at Hunter College whose academic focus is on hunger. The book is very comprehensive and covers the history, politics, and technical nature of the school food system (procurement, nutrition requirements, economics, etc.). It's accessible to the general reader or casual concerned parent but perhaps it is a bit overkill and it's really those who are school food reform advocates or in some other fashion part of the sustainable food movement who will have the patience and stamina to get through the book. ( )
  OccassionalRead | Jun 11, 2010 |
In its patient, no-nonsense approach to the problem of feeding our kids, Free for All will, I hope, be a goad and a clarion call for an energetic horde of nutritional revolutionaries. Hats off to Poppendieck. Three cheers for free lunch.

For my daughter, Amanda
School meals don't have a very good reputation.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0520243706, Hardcover)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:31 -0400)

How did our children end up eating nachos, pizza, and Tater Tots for lunch? Taking us on an eye-opening journey into the nation's school kitchens, this superbly researched book is the first to provide a comprehensive assessment of school food in the United States. Janet Poppendieck explores the deep politics of food provision from multiple perspectives--history, policy, nutrition, environmental sustainability, taste, and more. How did we get into the absurd situation in which nutritionally regulated meals compete with fast food items and snack foods loaded with sugar, salt, and fat? What is the nutritional profile of the federal meals? How well are they reaching students who need them? Opening a window onto our culture as a whole, Poppendieck reveals the forces--the financial troubles of schools, the commercialization of childhood, the reliance on market models--that are determining how lunch is served. She concludes with a sweeping vision for change: fresh, healthy food for all children as a regular part of their school day.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,634,317 books! | Top bar: Always visible