The Impostor's Daughter: A True Memoir…

The Impostor's Daughter: A True Memoir (2009)

by Laurie Sandell

My first graphic novel. I'm not sure I like graphic novels. Others might like this one much better. It's actually hard for me to even evaluate this book. I liked the story well enough but it's hard to get into something when you're distracted by the drawings. ( )
  mamashepp | Mar 29, 2016 |
  mamashepp | Mar 29, 2016 |
Mildly entertaining. ( )
  viviennestrauss | Jul 18, 2015 |
My first thought upon receiving this book was that the title was mispelled. However, according to Webster's Collegiate Dictionary "impostor" can be spelled as it appears in the title, and it can also be spelled "imposter" (which was the spelling that I knew).

Having satisfied my inner spelling geek, I was able to crack this book open and settle in for a fascinating read. I was pleasantly surprised to find that this is a graphic memoir. The drawings are easy to comprehend and remind me a little bit of the art of Marjane Satrapi who wrote Persepolis (except that Persepolis was in black and white).

The Impostor's Daughter pulled me in from the very first line:

"Whenever my father went out of town he had the mail stopped. It didn't matter if he was gone for one, two, or ten days - if my father wasn't home, the mail didn't come." Page 2

Isn't that a great way to start the book? After reading just a few pages I was rivetted, wanting to know exactly what her father was hiding and who he was hiding it from.

Laurie Sandell lays out the details of her life completely for the world to see, including the both the good and the bad. One thing I will say is that this is not a book for kids. There are depictions of drug use, drinking, sex and drawings of naked people. While I think that the book could have been just as effective without the naked pictures, I do appreciate her candor and bravery in telling the world about her past.

I would recommend this book to anyone who likes a good memoir, as long as you don't mind the issues I mentioned in the previous paragraph. ( )
  akreese | May 16, 2013 |
Entertaining story about a woman who is on the search to figure out her life by figuring out her dad's life. ( )
  mawls | Apr 4, 2013 |
Sophisticated and spellbinding.
added by Shortride | editElle, Lisa Shea (Jul 12, 2009)

For all the truth tellers
Whenever my father went out of town, he had the mail stopped.

Laurie Sandell grew up in awe (and sometimes in terror) of her larger-than-life father, who told jaw-dropping tales of a privileged childhood in Buenos Aires, academic triumphs, heroism during Vietnam, friendships with Kissinger and the Pope. As a young woman, Laurie unconsciously mirrors her dad, trying on several outsized personalities (Tokyo stripper, lesbian seductress, Ambien addict). Later, she lucks into the perfect job--interviewing celebrities for a top women's magazine. Growing up with her extraordinary father has given Laurie a knack for relating to the stars. But while researching an article on her dad's life, she makes an astonishing discovery: he's not the man he says he is--not even close. Now, Laurie begins to puzzle together three decades of lies and the splintered person that resulted from them--herself.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:06 -0400)

Describes the author's youth as the daughter of a man who shared fantastical tales about his privileged Buenos Aires youth, Vietnam heroism, and celebrity friendships, and her astonishment upon learning that her father fabricated many of his experiences.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,572,564 books! | Top bar: Always visible