Daisy Miller (1878)

by Henry James

Daisy is as free as the air, but an innocent abroad. Her life encompasses the tragic difficulties of youth, tradition and love.
Recently added bymapple2, private library, deeannloso, JA_Russell, icedtati, nicksimp2000, caroline_r, imamgi, SirleV, amyalmonte
Legacy LibrariesGraham Greene, H.D.

English (65)  Dutch (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (70)
Another example of how the rules of society can weigh you down like an albatross about your neck. Different customs cause misunderstandings that never would have happened if the customs weren't there to begin with. Not a book to read if you want a traditional happy ending. ( )
  EmeraldAngel | Jun 3, 2021 |
Early work of the colossal Henry James, and a great introduction to his recurring themes: Americans in Europe; independent women; and dyspepsia. James himself seemed to spend more time in Europe than in his country of birth, and appears (from his letters) to have battled dyspepsia and anxiety throughout his life, so it's no wonder these themes permeate his work. At the forefront of his oeuvre, however, is the conflict that ensues when a gentlemen projects (then) standard conventions and expectations on a young woman who spurns them all. This is captured beautifully in this brief exchange from this novella:

(Daisy Miller) "I've never allowed a gentleman to dictate to me or to interfere with anything I do."
(Mr. Winterbourne) "I think that's just where your mistake has come in...." ( )
  chrisvia | Apr 29, 2021 |
Read as part of 'Daisy Miller' and 'Washington Square' Barnes & Noble Classics P/B. ( )
  fmc712 | Feb 18, 2021 |
a naive young American woman comes to grief visiting Rome--I first read this when I was in 5th grade, as my school principal let me use some college level English lessons to keep me from being bored.
  ritaer | Jan 6, 2021 |
A very short novella concerning the "outrageous" behaviour of Daisy and the judgments of the society around her. ( )
  Georgina_Watson | Jun 14, 2020 |

Henry Jamesprimary authorall editionscalculated
Moore, GeoffreyEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vondeling, KlaasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Is retold in

Has the adaptation

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

At the little town of Vevey, in Switzerland, there is a particularly
comfortable hotel.
This work is the main work for Daisy Miller, by Henry James. It should not be combined with omnibus editions that contain Daisy Miller with other works; work-to-work relationships indicate that information.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 190917579X, 1909175803

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,286,859 books! | Top bar: Always visible