Skeleton Hill by Peter Lovesey

Skeleton Hill (2009)

by Peter Lovesey

Series: Peter Diamond (10)

Simon Prebble is a wonderful narrator. I enjoyed this because of his great reading. This is two mysteries separated in time by 20 years. So I did find it hard at times to keep track of the large number of characters. Good tale over all. Nice escape read. ( )
  njcur | Jul 14, 2018 |
Skeleton Hill is book 10 in the Inspector Peter Diamond series, but I don't believe I've read any of the others.

Two of the persons reenacting the 1643 English Civil War battle of Lansdown Hill find a skeleton while looking for something else. They assume it's the body of a soldier who fell in the real battle. One of them, Rupert, is a lecturer in history from Bristol. He goes missing. The skeleton is rediscovered and turns out not to be what Rupert and Dave thought.

Inspector Diamond believes the two cases are connected, but his boss, Georgina, does not. She wants Bristol to head the Rupert case. Diamond takes over that, leaving his second, Keith, in charge of the skeleton case.

The killer or killers took care to make the skeleton unidentifiable. Too bad for them that they didn't remove the clothes. The coincidence there reminds me of the one in Rex Stout's The Mother Hunt. (Inspector Diamond is no Nero Wolfe, but he does figure things out -- eventually.)

Why no one reported the murder victim makes sense once a trip to London establishes who the victim probably was. The members of the Lansdown Society do not prove to be as helpful as Diamond hoped, but they're not useless. I liked the Bristol officers as well as Diamond's usual team.

The book has a sense of humor. At one point Georgina lends Diamond her expensive car. No, he doesn't crash it, but what happens does his bank account no good. There's also drama. The London adventure ends in a trip to a hospital.

There were some things I figured out before our hero, but I had not fixed on whodunit. Simon Prebble is an excellent narrator. ( )
  JalenV | Mar 15, 2018 |
A good police procedural set in Bath with a dash of history thrown in. When a human bone is discovered on land used by a group who re-enact Civil War battles between Roundheads and Cavaliers, the group is scrutinized. The case is soon linked to another, more recent murder case and the joint investigation becomes complex. However, Lovesey did an excellent job of keeping all the details clear and easy to follow. The tetchy Peter Diamond is his usual technophobe self, although proud to be able to make a mobile phone call, keying the number with his thumb "just like a teenager". I enjoyed this one a lot. ( )
1 vote VivienneR | Feb 16, 2017 |
This was one of the most complicated mysteries I've ever read. Although the ultimate mystery is pretty well defined in the early pages, Lovesey keeps it going with all sorts of facts, some of which contribute to the solution and some that do not. He is no Agatha Christie but I really do like this author. ( )
  DeaconBernie | Feb 16, 2017 |
Excellent mystery! Kept me guessing right to the end! ( )
  Oodles | Feb 16, 2016 |

Peter Loveseyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Elsas, ElizabethCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Larbalestier, SimonCover photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Prebble, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Two men lay dead on a battlefield and one said 'Hey!' The other stayed silent. 'I'm talking to you.' There was no response. 'You with the head wound.' Now the other one stirred. 'I'm dead', he said through his teeth like a ventriloquist. 'Me, too. So?'

"On Lansdown Hill, near Bath, a battle between Roundheads and Cavaliers that took place over 350 years ago is annually reenacted. Two of the participants discover a skeleton that turns out to be female, headless, and only about twenty years old. Two weeks later, the body of one of them, a professor who played a Cavalier, is found nearby, at Beckford's Tower, a local folly. He has been murdered." "This turns out to be one of the most puzzling cases that has ever confronted Detective Superintendent Peter Diamond, involving golf, horseracing, Civil War reenactment, and even the Cyrillic alphabet. In the course of his investigation, he butts heads with a group of vigilantes who call themselves the Lansdown Society, discovering in the process that his boss, Georgina, is a member. She resolves to sideline Diamond, but matters don't pan out in accordance with her plans."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,001,938 books! | Top bar: Always visible