Too Many Women by Rex Stout

Too Many Women (1947)

by Rex Stout

Series: Nero Wolfe (12)

English (10)  Danish (1)  All languages (11)
It was a lot of fun listening to Archie's encounters with the many young women in engineering firm Naylor-Kerr. While I certainly was not able to figure out the culprit before Wolfe, I thought that this one didn't show off Wolfe's personality as well as some of the other books in the series.

Michael Pritchard does a decent narration and his voice for Nero Wolfe is particularly good. ( )
  leslie.98 | Apr 27, 2018 |
This is more an Archie than a Nero Wolfe book - Wolfe is there and helps (and solves the problem) but most of the story happens outside of his office and without him being anywhere around.

It all starts weirdly - a company had had too many people leaving in the previous year and decides to check what had happened. One man had left because he was hit by a car and left - and his manager insists on calling it murder. And the director decides to hire Wolfe to investigate and find out if it was an accident or a murder. So Archie gets a new job - a personnel expert in the company, reviewing practices and what's not. Of course, his job is to investigate.

Except that he seems to spend more time being chased by women (all of them seem to really love him), being beaten by men (more than usual) and chasing his tail. Except that there is another corpse, Wolfe get hired again to now discover who the killer is and Archie's role is known by everyone (officially that is, the gossip was always there).

It is a strange novel - the Nero Wolfe novels are sexist (because of the times) but that one seems to be even more so. It is partially because most of the action happens in the work-space, with all the stenographers and typist are and women are only considered good enough for those jobs. But Archie is also womanizing a lot more than usual - and the women in the novel behave as damsels in distress. On the other hand, it may not be so unrealistic. But all the characters sound a bit off - Cramer, who is usually intelligent, behaves like an idiot in places and the end feels a bit rushed.

I am not sorry I read it but it is my least favorite so far from the series. I think I prefer this series with Wolfe in the center and not Archie - at least not Archie behaving like that. ( )
  AnnieMod | Jan 9, 2018 |
A survey on employer turnover gets a reply saying an employee's reason for leaving was "murdered" --the president of the company involved hires Wolfe to verify if it really was murder (officially it was a hit and run), and Wolfe sends Archie Goodwin to work in the company undercover. This involves his investigating 500 female employees, mostly attractive, hence the title. ( )
  antiquary | Jul 15, 2016 |
This time around Wolfe is hired by a company to find out if one of their emplyeees was murdered or if it was a random hit and run as Kramer thinks. The women of the title come from the vast secretarial pool at the company where Archie is temporarily employed. ( )
  RachelNF | Jan 15, 2016 |
This isn't my favorite Nero Wolfe novel. I think its because its a bit over the top with the female characters, all of whom are some kind of man eating nympo. It also doesn't develop the mystery very well.
There are, however, some great scenes and I wouldn't pan it outright. I'm sure I will re-read it a dozen more times in my life. ( )
  blatherlikeme | Sep 28, 2014 |

Rex Stoutprimary authorall editionscalculated
Phillips, BaryeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Prichard, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It was the same old rigmarole.

Private eye, Nero Wolfe, has been hired by the president of a corporation to determine whether the death of an employee was an accident or murder.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:26 -0400)

Archie Goodwin goes to work on Wall Street when corpulent sleuth Nero Wolfe takes on a ruthless killer involved in two hit-and-run "accidents".

Legacy Library: Rex Stout

Rex Stout has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Rex Stout's legacy profile.

See Rex Stout's author page.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,918,056 books! | Top bar: Always visible