Shadowrise by Tad Williams

Shadowrise

by Tad Williams

Series: Shadowmarch (3)

With King Olin imprisoned and Prince Kendrick slain, the royal twins Barrick and Briony have been forced to flee their homeland. But both families and nations can hide dark and terrible secrets, and even if Barrick and Briony survive learning the astonishing truths at the heart of their own family and of Southmarch itself, they must still find a way to reclaim their kingdom and rescue their home--from traitors, tyrants, a god-king, and even the angry gods themselves.… (more)

English (13)  German (1)  All languages (14)
The pace is much improved over the second volume, with nearly all of these chapters carrying weight and momentum. Briony regains most of her agency as she seeks foreign assistance against the Shadowmarch usurper. Barrick's narrative improves while he's on his lonesome in the inhospitable fairy lands. Chert is assertive and Chaven further defies his character template as they deal with mysterious events at the castle, now aided by Vansen who gets back to what he's good at. Only Quinnitan languishes for being held prisoner, but her captor Daikonas Vo is interesting and so is her strange psychic tie to Barrick. Various other players have roles as the Quar ramp up the Shadowmarch siege. I don't think anyone makes it this far without being invested in these characters and it's gratifying whenever something goes right for them. Unfortunately we don't reach the conclusion as scheduled, the author again finding himself in need of a fourth volume to close out his trilogy. ( )
  Cecrow | Jun 12, 2017 |
The 3rd book of the Shadowmarch tetrology. I ended up reading this in short sections at lunch at work, and I think that really worked against this book. The way it was written made it so it needed to be read in 3-5 long reads.

Barrit ends up going through yet more stuff and meeting the King of the Qar, Briony makes it safely to another kingdom only to face assassination, etc and ends up fleeing back to Southmarch and the fruitcake godking reveals his plans to sacrifice the king of Southmarch to gain control of a god for his own personal use.

This book just didn't really resonate with me, but I think I would have enjoyed it more if I had read it in fewer, but longer, sessions. ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
The saga continues. And again Mr. Williams enraptures me with his perfectly chosen words and deep historical content. The narrator on these audio books is amazing so I'm sure that helps, but really the story is getting deeper and more interesting as it goes. Only one more to go. ( )
  ragwaine | Feb 10, 2016 |
I'm not sure why, but I like this part much better than the first two in the series. Perhaps it's because I read that awful French book (Au bon roman/A Novel Bookstore) just before this one. In any case, this book is much more like what I expected from Tad Williams. Now I'm really looking forward to reading the last part. ( )
  Ilirwen | Sep 19, 2014 |
Book three of another trilogy which expanded to be in four parts. Enjoyable, though the pacing was somewhat compromised by it taking me six months to read part three (I finished part two while in labour!) - I look forward to starting book four tomorrow and seeing the conclusion.

Interesting to follow each of the major characters - some of whom seem to have had more eventful rides through this book than others. I think Briony is still my favourite, a soft spot for slightly tomboy princesses perhaps? We shall see! ( )
  lnr_blair | Sep 13, 2013 |

Tad Williamsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lockwood, ToddCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Like the first two volumes, Shadowrise is dedicated to our children Connor Williams and Devon Beale, who continue to oppress me with a mighty, mighty love. They are the two coolest kids in the world.
"Tell me the rest of the story, bird."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,713,825 books! | Top bar: Always visible