Black Magic Sanction

by Kim Harrison

Series: The Hollows (8)

A malicious coven accuses witch detective Rachel Morgan of consorting with demons, which could mean imprisonment--or death.

3 and a half. Fun! I particularly liked the scary Alcatraz element and the elaboration of the function of gargoyles. I've gotten confused as to the whole origin of witches. "Elven propaganda" was repeated a few times but I lost the thread. ( )
  Je9 | Aug 10, 2021 |
Fun fluff, now coming together. ( )
  wetdryvac | Mar 2, 2021 |
I find that I enjoyed this book much more than I anticipated.
So much happened and where to begin?
I'm tired of Nick and Rachel trusting Nick.
The pixies family are my favorite characters and I wonder what will happen with them.
Mostly I liked that we are moving away from the simple world of good people do good things which is white and bad people do bad things which is black. Sigh. In truth everyone's grey. There are no heroes and villains; we are both at the same time. Thats complex to explore in this type of novel and I appreciate the effort. It's more or less effective.
I am glad that how a witch's sex organs differ from humans was finally revealed. I'd been wondering that since Nick. Lol at Jenks comments to naked Pierce. ( )
  LoisSusan | Dec 10, 2020 |
this review is also featured on Behind the Pages: Black Magic Sanction

Rachel is trying to keep her life as normal as she can despite being shunned. But every time she turns around, another person is gunning for her. She’s come to terms with the paths she’s chosen, but most don’t believe a witch can walk the line between white and black magic and not be evil. To the coven of moral and ethical standards, shunning isn’t enough. They would prefer Rachel to be tucked away in their prison and magically neutered. While they don’t expect her to go quietly, they have no idea what they are in for when Rachel’s team fights back. She’s gained quite a few allies, and she won’t go down without a fight.

Each book in The Hollows series continues to escalate the situations Rachel must face. Kim Harrison isn’t afraid to put her in tough situations, and Rachel is going to have some heartbreaking and eye-opening experiences this time around. Black Magic Sanction is one of those books that makes you step back and realize just how much Rachel has progressed throughout the series. Having been through so much, the long term toll on her is reflected in her behavior and actions. But even with all the experience under her belt, nothing ever goes according to plan and Rachel might be in over her head this time.

There is never a dull moment in Black Magic Sanction. Some of the better known members of Rachel’s team will take a back step, but this allows for a fresh mix of conflict and tension. Past and present characters will collide to force Rachel to make decisions on who to trust in the blink of an eye. I will never tire of The Hollows series. It has the perfect blend of action, romance, and humor to keep me reading as long as Kim Harrison keeps writing books in the series. ( )
  Letora | Aug 24, 2020 |
hb
  5083mitzi | Jul 22, 2020 |

Kim Harrisonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gavin, MargueriteNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lamatsch, VanessaÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rostant, LarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the guy in the leather jacket.
Tucking my hair back, I squinted at the parchment, trying to form the strange angular letters as smoothly as I could.

Eos

An edition of this book was published by Eos.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,243,941 books! | Top bar: Always visible