Starters

by Lissa Price

Series: Starters (1)

1,08112515,434 (3.77)1 / 31
To support herself and her younger brother in a future Beverly Hills, sixteen-year-old Callie hires her body out to seniors who want to experience being young again, and she lives a fairy-tale life until she learns that her body will commit murder, unless her mind can stop it.

English (123)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (125)
You know I didn't want to read this. But sorely lacking in reading material, you do what you have to. 2½ stars.

Starters has a pretty cool concept, but when they mention a boy in the blurb you know it's not going to be the best written book. Besides the weirdly inevitable semi love triangle(square?), there are odd plot holes and dumb terms (why are emails called zmails in the future this is pointless) and a humorous reference to Cinderella.

If you don't hate YA, hey, give it a shot. When you have nothing better to read. ( )
  brutalstirfry | May 6, 2022 |
Starters is the story of the aftermath of a futuristic war that claims the lives of all of the people who have reached middle age due to the fact that only the old (Enders) and the young (Starters) were immunized against attacking spores. The main character, Callie has lost her parents but survives on the streets with her brother, Tyler, who is ill, and her friend, Michael. In order to earn money to help Tyler, Callie donates her body to Prime Destinations to be "rented" for a period of time by an Ender. Callie wakes up in her own body, but the renter hasn't yet left. As Callie and her renter, Helena begin to communicate, Callie learns more and more about the actual purpose of Prime Destinations and the conspiracy that threatens all of the Starters. This was a well thought out book with lots of twists and turns to keep the reader interested. It also raises lots of ethical questions that cause the reader to stop and think about how he/she would react under similar circumstances. I loved this book and can't wait to read the sequel, Enders. ( )
  ftbooklover | Oct 12, 2021 |
The premise of immunization policies leading to a post-apocalyptical scenario where only the youngest and eldest are left intrigued me. I enjoyed it. It wasn't amazing, but it had quite a few interesting points and wasn't predictable. I look forward to the next one. ( )
  cdks | Aug 16, 2021 |
The place seemed like something out of a nightmare, people too friendly to be sincere, a deal too good to be true and all for the low price of her body to rent out to the highest bidder. Three rentals and it would be over, she would sleep through the whole thing and all in the blink of an eye she would have her body back, her life back and a large sum of cash for her trouble.

The cash was the only reason she ever considered it in the first place. With her little brother all she has left in the world she had to protect him, and a life on the streets was doing nothing for his health. But when she wakes to find herself living a life that is not her own, with cash in one hand and a gun in the other, she uncovers the beginnings of a murderous plot, but is she able to hold on to her body long enough to stop the murder and save herself.

Starters are treated as second class citizens in this new post war world. With no legal rights many starters are forced to live on the streets, or worse they end up in prisons. In a world that exploits, captures and brutalizes its children, where lives are brought and sold and no one is who they seem, this dystopian story makes you wonder at the possibilities, and give you nightmares of a world gone wrong. ( )
  LarissaBookGirl | Aug 2, 2021 |
I really enjoyed this book. The concept was wicked, I was constantly tensed up waiting for what would come next, the writing was realistic and brought me straight into the world she wrote. It was creepy, SPOILER the plot twist with Blake was crazy yet amazing END OF SPOILER and I was hooked.
Definite 5 stars, you must check it out if you are anything like me and you love dystopian or sci-fi books! Just wow.

Scarlett ( )
  amberdahlwijk | Jan 21, 2021 |
Callie's parents died after the Spore Wars and now it's just her and her seven year old brother Tyler. Tyler is sick with a rare lung disorder and Callie needs money so she can buy them a house to live in. But, the renting does not go as planned and Callie is stuck pretending to be the person who rented her body. She keeps hearing a voice in the back of her head and things start taking a weird turn. Everyday that passes, Callie starts learns more and more about what her renter was really up to.

At first teens renting out their bodies to old people was really creepy idea to me and I didn't think it was a type of book that I would like but I was picked to be an Ambuzzador for it and I'm really happy that I was. I felt really bad for Callie because felt she had no other choice but to rent out her body and I thought she faced it with so much courage. You could really tell that her brother meant the world to her and that she would do anything and everything necessary to give him a better life. Callie is an incredibly strong character and I found it very easy to like her.

Starters is a awesome dystopian book and I'm positive dystopia fans will love it even if your not a fan of dystopia you should defiantly try it. Things that happened toward the end really took me by surprise and left me eager to see what happens next!
added by Brittany_F | editRandom House

Lissa Priceprimary authorall editionscalculated
Greenberg, Melissa A.Designer & cover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lea, BobCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wagner, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Is contained in

FOR DENNIS, WHO ALWAYS BELIEVED
Enders gave me the creeps.

Lissa Price is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,733,127 books! | Top bar: Always visible