Eleven Minutes (2003)

by Paulo Coelho

After being tricked into moving to Geneva as a dancer, Maria must work as a prostitute. She develops a fascination for her work and feels a great desire to help people enjoy sex, but has an aversion to falling in love. One day, however, a painter makes all her dreams come true.

English (60)  Spanish (8)  German (4)  Italian (3)  Portuguese (2)  Danish (1)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Finnish (1)  Catalan (1)  French (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (84)
Probably the worst book I ever read in my entire life.

Apparently to be fulfilled in life you need three things

1. Romantic love
2. Orgasms
3. Money

RebeccaBooks | Sep 16, 2021 |
Not as good as The Alchemist. Not as bad as Veronica Decides to Die. In between. I guess I liked it because I lived in Geneva about 25 years ago and several of the land marks are in the book. I dislike the that a male tells about what its like to be a female prostitute and dislike that Coelho is so predictable. ( )
  evil_cyclist | Mar 16, 2020 |
Again, too 'out there' for me. I really want to like Paulo Coelho's books after reading The Alchemist. Which one should I read? ( )
  StevenJohnTait | Jul 29, 2019 |
Maria es de un pueblo situado al norte de Brasil. Todavía adolescente, viaja a Río de Janeiro, donde conoce a un empresario que le ofrece un buen trabajo en Ginebra. Allí, Maria sueña con encontrar fama y fortuna, pero acabará ejerciendo la prostitución. El aprendizaje que extraerá de sus duras experiencias modificará para siempre su actitud ante sí misma y ante la vida.

Como un cuento de hadas para adultos, Once minutos es una novela que explora la naturaleza del sexo y del amor, la intensa y difícil relación entre cuerpo y alma, y cómo alcanzar la perfecta unión entre ambos. Once minutos ofrece al lector una experiencia inigualable de lectura y reflexión.
  Haijavivi | May 31, 2019 |
3.5***

Maria is a young girl form a small Brazilian town. Her first love leaves her heartbroken and she becomes convinced that she is destined to never find true love. She works in a drapery firm, where she fends off her boss. On a trip to Rio de Janeiro she meets a “businessman” who promises her fame and fortune in Switzerland.

Well this went in a direction I wasn’t expecting. Yes, of course, Maria winds up a prostitute and not a famous movie actress, but she comes to understand much about herself and the world. She starts going to the library and reads up on a wide variety of topics. She opens a bank account and saves for her eventual return to Brazil, where she plans to buy a farm for her parents. She explores her sexuality in ways she never expected and thinks long and hard about the meaning of love and whether it really exists.

There were several times when I thought that Coelho really doesn’t know women at all. And still, I was captivated by Maria and her journey.

I had previously read Coelho’s The Alchemist and was not enthralled. At the outset of this book I felt it might just be the author’s attempt to write the same book with a female protagonist. But the strength and beauty of Coelho’s writing carried me away.

I was heading for a 4-star rating, but the fairy tale ending lost a half star for me. ( )
  BookConcierge | May 16, 2019 |

Coelho, Pauloprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Costa, Margaret JullTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Janssen, PietTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Meyer-Minnemann, MaraldeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

Erase una vez una prostituta llamada María.

De jonge Braziliaanse Maria verlang! koortsachtig naar het grote avontuur en de grote liefde. Onder valse voorwendselen wordt ze naar (ienèvegelokt, waar ze inde prostitutie belandt. Ze doet haar werk echter zonder schaamte, omdat ze haar geest leert zich niet te beklagen over wat haar lichaam doet en omdat ze zichzelf niet toe-staatverliefd te worden. Niettemin blijft seks voor haar, net als de liefde, iets raadsel-achligs. Dat verandert wanneer ze een jonge schilder ontmoet die haar in verwarring brengt, want ook al is hij net zo verloren als zij, hij weet de taal van het hart te spreken. Elf minuten was in 2003 de best verkochte roman wereldwijd volgens Pitblishing Trenrfs.tr werden dat jaar vier miljoen exemplaren van verkocht.
Paulo Coclho (1947) onlvingvoor zijn gehele oeuvre in 1999 de Crystal Award van het World Economie Forum. In 2002 werd hem een zetel toegewezen in de prestigieuze Academia Brasileira de Letras.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,097,329 books! | Top bar: Always visible