Eleven Minutes (2003)

by Paulo Coelho

After being tricked into moving to Geneva as a dancer, Maria must work as a prostitute. She develops a fascination for her work and feels a great desire to help people enjoy sex, but has an aversion to falling in love. One day, however, a painter makes all her dreams come true.

English (63)  Spanish (8)  German (4)  Italian (3)  Portuguese (2)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Danish (1)  Finnish (1)  Hungarian (1)  Catalan (1)  French (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (88)
This book, about a girl with simple yet complex dreams and her choices which she thinks, are adventurous, will lead us to introspection even though the events in her life and ours are entirely different .. and that I think is the art of writing which the author has brought about in his work... I would recommend this book to people who love reading novels, the ones who think a lot after reading, and to the ones who are so good at picturing the entire novel creatively in mind 😉 I think it will be a great loss for novel lovers if they couldn't read this book....and I end up by a quote from the book. ( )
  varishaa | Sep 6, 2022 |
I knew what this book is all about long before I have actually read it. I don’t want to judge people who have succumb to prostitution as their way of living. I think I just got surprised by how this author have narrated such a book. It’s just that I’m aggravated by how the author tries to add more complexities to an already unconventional topic. I think it’s absurd to try to make it acceptable and make it “sacred” to normalize talking about it. I’m not trying to be a saint by saying this. It is my personal opinion that it’s better if the author had just left this topic altogether.

On the other hand, I like the good sappy sayings about life, mostly written by Maria through her diary. But other than that, I don’t recommend this book.

I’m rather proud of myself for picking this book up in the first place. Well, I guess it’s still a thing to learn how to stretch your mind and accept that not all things will agree on your beliefs. I still love some of Coelho’s books, most especially the “The Alchemist”. But I have to say that this book really challenged me of how I perceived the author. ( )
  jam01 | Feb 26, 2022 |
Its an amazing book of Paulo Coelho.
I have read it two times but both times it impressed me and give a good feel. ( )
  MuhammadTahir1 | Oct 17, 2021 |
Probably the worst book I ever read in my entire life.

Apparently to be fulfilled in life you need three things

1. Romantic love
2. Orgasms
3. Money

RebeccaBooks | Sep 16, 2021 |
Not as good as The Alchemist. Not as bad as Veronica Decides to Die. In between. I guess I liked it because I lived in Geneva about 25 years ago and several of the land marks are in the book. I dislike the that a male tells about what its like to be a female prostitute and dislike that Coelho is so predictable. ( )
  evil_cyclist | Mar 16, 2020 |

Coelho, Pauloprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Costa, Margaret JullTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Janssen, PietTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Meyer-Minnemann, MaraldeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

Erase una vez una prostituta llamada María.

De jonge Braziliaanse Maria verlang! koortsachtig naar het grote avontuur en de grote liefde. Onder valse voorwendselen wordt ze naar (ienèvegelokt, waar ze inde prostitutie belandt. Ze doet haar werk echter zonder schaamte, omdat ze haar geest leert zich niet te beklagen over wat haar lichaam doet en omdat ze zichzelf niet toe-staatverliefd te worden. Niettemin blijft seks voor haar, net als de liefde, iets raadsel-achligs. Dat verandert wanneer ze een jonge schilder ontmoet die haar in verwarring brengt, want ook al is hij net zo verloren als zij, hij weet de taal van het hart te spreken. Elf minuten was in 2003 de best verkochte roman wereldwijd volgens Pitblishing Trenrfs.tr werden dat jaar vier miljoen exemplaren van verkocht.
Paulo Coclho (1947) onlvingvoor zijn gehele oeuvre in 1999 de Crystal Award van het World Economie Forum. In 2002 werd hem een zetel toegewezen in de prestigieuze Academia Brasileira de Letras.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 176,905,842 books! | Top bar: Always visible