Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Art Forms in Nature by Ernst Haeckel

Art Forms in Nature (1904)

by Ernst Haeckel

(Rating: 4.5 /5.0, rounded down)

Haeckel was, as it turns out, a rather repugnant individual. But these prints (places hand over heart): absolutely exquisite. ( )
  rabbit.blackberry | Oct 19, 2017 |
(Rating: 4.5 /5.0, rounded down)

rabbit.blackberry | Oct 19, 2017 |
100 plates.
  jhawn | Jul 31, 2017 |
Just once in a while, 5 stars aren't enough. This book is far more than amazing, it's stupendously, fantastically, magically wonderful (and that isn't hyperbole!) The book, as the introduction makes clear, is a work of scientific illustrations of primitive organisms. But the illustrations are other-worldly both in form and in the feeling they give: that rotifers, protozoans and medusae don't just inhabit scarcely-visible parts of our world, no they have their own world which we can barely glimpse into, as different and exotic as any science-fiction artwork.
These are disk jellyfish. Top right is Cassiopeia
If I wasn't at all interested in science, I would still want to own this book. Indeed, until I was forced to sell it (a good offer was made and, after all I am a bookseller, I can't hang on to my favourite items forever and I managed a year with this one) it was hidden on my private shelf where I could look at it almost every day. ( )
1 vote Petra.Xs | Apr 2, 2013 |
Z loved this . . . scientist as artist and vice versa. ( )
  beckydj | Mar 31, 2013 |

Ernst Haeckelprimary authorall editionscalculated
Breidbach, OlafContributorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Eibl-Eibesfeldt, IrenaeusContributorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jackson, RosieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Multitude of strangely beautiful natural forms: Radiolaria, Foraminifera, Ciliata, diatoms, calcareous sponges, Siphonophora, star corals, starfishes, Protozoa, flagellates, brown seaweed, jellyfishes, sea-lilies, moss animals, sea-urchins, glass sponges, leptomedusae, horny corals, trunkfishes, true sea slugs, anthomedusae horseshoe crabs, sea-cucumbers, octopuses, bats, orchids, sea wasps, seahorse, a dragonfish, a frogfish, much more. All images in black and white.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:21 -0400)

Multitude of strangely beautiful natural forms: Radiolaria, Foraminifera, jellyfishes, fungi, turtles, bats, etc.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,460,807 books! | Top bar: Always visible