dismiss

Black Hills (2010)

by Dan Simmons

Haunted by Custer's ghost, and also by his ability to see into the memories and futures of legendary men like Sioux war-chief Crazy Horse, Paha Sapa plans to silence his ghost forever and reclaim his people's legacy--on the very day FDR comes to Mount Rushmore to dedicate the Jefferson face.

English (26)  French (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (29)
Not my favorite Simmons book by a long shot. The writing is excellent. The story is engaging but overall I found it boring. The parts with Custer really made me want to close the book. Simmons made him sound like a man out of time....which in a way he was since Paha carried him around for sixty years, but when he spoke I felt like I was listening to someone who was born in the late 20th century. Paha was a great character. Like many of Simmons's characters he was flawed and human. ( )
  Joe73 | Oct 11, 2019 |
As usual his need to show off his research is in abundance, but here it stifles the story rather than revealing motivation, and chunks of exposition appear just when things were getting interesting. Still, he's a magical writer when he lets his imagination soar, and parts of this, in particular the sections dealing with the protagonist's spiritual quests really soar.

It's not in the same upper bracket as The Terror or Carrion Comfort, not as gripping as Drood, and hasn't got the thrills of The Abominable, but it held my attention, although I could have done without knowing quite so much about General Custer's sex life. ( )
2 vote williemeikle | Dec 30, 2018 |
There are a lot of interesting ideas here, but I really struggled to maintain interest. I much preferred Drood to this one.
  GaylaBassham | May 27, 2018 |
Paha Sapa counts "coup" on General Custer at Little Big Horn and begins an amazing journey that traces the white man incursion into the Black Hills of South Dakota. That trek leads us through the Chicago World Fair of 1893 and the amazing new "Ferris Wheel", to the Brooklyn Bridge and finally to the creation and dedication of Mount Rushmore in 1936.

Paha Sapa becomes one of my favorite Simmons characters, tormented, driven, brillant and very human. The book's scope is immense, however the settings are initimate and it's protrayal of Native American's respectful and felt spot-on. A terrific novel that I throughly enjoyed reading. ( )
  bhuesers | Mar 29, 2017 |

Simmons, Danprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Demange, OdileTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rosenthal, KenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hecetu Mitakyue oyasin

« Qu'il en soit ainsi – tous les miens ! – chacun d'entre nous. »
Je dédie ce livre à mes parents, Robert et Kathryn Simmons, ainsi qu'aux parents de ma femme, Karen, Vern et Ruth Loquerquist. Je le dédie aussi à mes frères, Wayne et Ted Simmons, ainsi qu'au frère de Karen, Jim Loquerquist, et à sa sœur, Sally Lampe.

Mais avant tout, ce livre est dédié à Karen et à notre fille, Jane Kathryn, qui sont pour moi Wamakaognaka e'cantge – « le cœur de tout ce qui est ».
Paha Sapa retire sa main précipitamment, mais pas suffisamment pour éviter le choc, fulgurant comme la morsure d'un crotale, de l'esprit du Wasicun mourant qui, d'un bond, s'introduit dans ses doigts et remonte le long de son bras jusqu'à sa poitrine.
Papa,
J'aurais attrapé la grippe espagnole même si j'étais allé à Dartmouth, et même si j'étais resté à la maison avec toi. Les choses étant ce qu'elles sont, j'ai été accompagné jusqu'au bout par de vaillants camarades, et j'ai accompli ma destinée en rencontrant la plus charmante des jeunes filles. La grippe m'aurait trouvé n'importe où. La jeune fille peut-être pas. Il est important que tu le comprennes. Maman est d'accord avec moi.
Robert

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,847,212 books! | Top bar: Always visible