Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Black Hills by Dan Simmons

Black Hills (2010)

by Dan Simmons

English (25)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (27)
As usual his need to show off his research is in abundance, but here it stifles the story rather than revealing motivation, and chunks of exposition appear just when things were getting interesting. Still, he's a magical writer when he lets his imagination soar, and parts of this, in particular the sections dealing with the protagonist's spiritual quests really soar.

It's not in the same upper bracket as The Terror or Carrion Comfort, not as gripping as Drood, and hasn't got the thrills of The Abominable, but it held my attention, although I could have done without knowing quite so much about General Custer's sex life. ( )
2 vote williemeikle | Dec 30, 2018 |
There are a lot of interesting ideas here, but I really struggled to maintain interest. I much preferred Drood to this one.
  GaylaBassham | May 27, 2018 |
Paha Sapa counts "coup" on General Custer at Little Big Horn and begins an amazing journey that traces the white man incursion into the Black Hills of South Dakota. That trek leads us through the Chicago World Fair of 1893 and the amazing new "Ferris Wheel", to the Brooklyn Bridge and finally to the creation and dedication of Mount Rushmore in 1936.

Paha Sapa becomes one of my favorite Simmons characters, tormented, driven, brillant and very human. The book's scope is immense, however the settings are initimate and it's protrayal of Native American's respectful and felt spot-on. A terrific novel that I throughly enjoyed reading. ( )
  bhuesers | Mar 29, 2017 |
  gayla.bassham | Nov 7, 2016 |

Simmons, Danprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rosenthal, KenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 031600698X, Hardcover)

When Paha Sapa, a young Sioux warrior, "counts coup" on General George Armstrong Custer as Custer lies dying on the battlefield at the Little Bighorn, the legendary general's ghost enters him - and his voice will speak to him for the rest of his event-filled life.

Seamlessly weaving together the stories of Paha Sapa, Custer, and the American West, Dan Simmons depicts a tumultuous time in the history of both Native and white Americans. Haunted by Custer's ghost, and also by his ability to see into the memories and futures of legendary men like Sioux war-chief Crazy Horse, Paha Sapa's long life is driven by a dramatic vision he experienced as a boy in his people's sacred Black Hills. In August of 1936, a dynamite worker on the massive Mount Rushmore project, Paha Sapa plans to silence his ghost forever and reclaim his people's legacy-on the very day FDR comes to Mount Rushmore to dedicate the Jefferson face.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:00 -0400)

Haunted by Custer's ghost, and also by his ability to see into the memories and futures of legendary men like Sioux war-chief Crazy Horse, Paha Sapa plans to silence his ghost forever and reclaim his people's legacy--on the very day FDR comes to Mount Rushmore to dedicate the Jefferson face.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,505,181 books! | Top bar: Always visible