dismiss

Moccasin Thunder: American Indian Stories for Today

by Lori Marie Carlson (Editor)

Other authors: Sherman Alexie (Contributor), Joseph Bruchac (Contributor), Louise Erdrich (Contributor), Lee Francis (Contributor), Joy Harjo (Contributor)6 more, Linda Hogan (Contributor), Susan Power (Contributor), Greg Sarris (Contributor), Helen Maynor Scheirbeck (Introduction), Cynthia Leitich Smith (Contributor), Richard Van Camp (Contributor)

Presents ten short stories about contemporary Native American teens by members of tribes of the United States and Canada, including Louise Erdrich and Joseph Bruchac.

This was a good little collection of modern native american short stories. Each of the authors had a distinct and interesting style and voice. Some had a good mix of old and new story elements as well. All in all good storytelling and easy to relate to. ( )
  jrashk | Mar 3, 2017 |
My VOYA ratings: 3Q, 2P

Short stories are difficult. You just find yourself finally understanding the character or the plotline and then it's all over; leaving you left wondering what happened after (and before) the story began. That said, some of the stories in this collection stand up a little taller than the others. I particularly liked Sherman Alexie's "Because My Father Always Said..." and Linda Hogan's "Crow." They had strong, well-painted characters from the start. Others, however, like "The Last Snow of the Virgin Mary" left me wanting more. I couldn't quite flesh out the narrator or his love interest enough to keep me riveted to the point of being sad when the story was over.

I'd have a hard time recommending this collection to students since I didn't love it. I think a more full picture of Native American life can be found in full-length novels and works of nonfiction ... even graphic novels. Worth a read, but not my favorite. ( )
  kmarch3 | May 14, 2013 |

Sarris, GregContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Scheirbeck, Helen MaynorIntroductionsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Smith, Cynthia LeitichContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Van Camp, RichardContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,038,030 books! | Top bar: Always visible