Aunt Dimity Beats the Devil by Nancy…

Aunt Dimity Beats the Devil (2000)

by Nancy Atherton

I admit, it was the 'Devil' in the title that got me reading this one! This is one of a long series of 'cozy' supernatural mystery novels. Unlike some I've read in this genre, the supernatural plot elements are 'real.' 'Aunt Dimity' is a ghost who communicates with the rather ordinary Lori Shepherd through messages in an old diary, giving her warnings when needed - and helping her solve mysteries, of course. In this episode, Lori reluctantly leaves her toddlers alone with their father and takes an assignment to evaluate a rare-book collection, located in a Gothic mansion in a remote corner of England. But what seems like a straightforward job becomes more complex when first, Lori needs to be rescued by a temptingly handsome stranger, the couple who are the new owners of the rare books library are hardly acting like newlyweds... and warnings are coming from Dimity to 'Leave, Now.'
Entertaining light reading. ( )
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |

A rather delightful "cozy" featuring the ghost of Aunt Dimity, that makes her voice heard in form of automatic writing in a blue Journal.

Wyrdhurst Hall is haunted, the locals are disgruntled, the owners of the manor are rather unhappily married, the husband goes off days at a time leaving his wife alone with the hauntings, and Lori is brought in to evaluate the Library's collection.

Little does Lori know that she will be the one to unravel the mystery of the ghostly heriss, lost love, & her untimely death by partial possession.....

I easily read this in one day and I'll most likely read others in the series. ( )
  Auntie-Nanuuq | Jan 18, 2016 |
When I first started reading the Aunt Dimity series, I thought the premise and story a little silly. Now, it's like sitting down with an old friend. I love the simple stories and the background of our protagonist Lori Shepherd and the ghost who looks out for her. ( )
  kp9949 | Jan 12, 2016 |
Okay. predictable. It might be better if I had read the preceding titles. I read the first one Aunt Dimity's Death and enjoyed it. This is number six and I didn't know all of the characters. ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
I didn't like this one. I just couldn't swallow the whole possession theme and the mystery was shallow with the outcomes too sensationalist. ( )
  Krumbs | Mar 31, 2013 |
For E. Terrance Atherton
soldier, brother, friend
It was a dark and stormy afternoon on the high moors of Northumberland.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0141002190, Mass Market Paperback)

Lori Shepherd, niece of one of the most benevolent ghosts in fiction, discovers there's life (and death) after motherhood in this charming, neo-Gothic tale of haunted castles, time-traveling spirits, and hidden treasure. Leaving her twin toddlers at home in the Cotswolds with her husband, an American lawyer working in England, Lori sets off for Wyrdhurst Hall to evaluate a private library for a wealthy client who has given the castle to his niece Nicole and her new husband, Jared Hollander. But a mysteriously open gate leads Lori dangerously astray. Rescued from a potentially fatal accident by a handsome and charming stranger to whom she is immediately attracted, she resumes her journey to the gloomy Scottish estate. Once ensconced at Wyrdhurst, Lori finds the young mistress is terrified by the sounds and apparitions that haunt the castle and equally frightened of her cold and controlling husband. Lori uncovers a secret cache of letters from an earlier era that hint at a tragic love affair and a death that must be avenged before Wyrdhurst's ghost--and its present inhabitants--can rest in peace. With Aunt Dimity's magic journal warning her that danger surrounds her passionate infatuation with Adam Chase, who has his own reasons for wanting Lori to get to the bottom of the mystery, our intrepid heroine traces the ghostly apparitions to their source. In the process she makes the acquaintance of the restless spirit whose love for a World War I soldier was thwarted, but not destroyed, by Wyrdhurst's original owner and provides the happy-ever-after ending to this charming and lively mystery. Nancy Atherton's fans will adore Lori and Aunt Dimity, and readers new to the series will be delighted to discover the fearless duo in this atmospheric and very well-paced story. --Jane Adams

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:01 -0400)

With rain crashing down on her Range Rover, as it climbs up a steep embankment on the Northumberland moors, Lori Shepherd is beginning to doubt the wisdom of her decision to evaluate a rare book collection at Wyrdhurst Hall. The grim, neo-gothic hall that greets her upon arrival is full of surprises-including a charming, secretive stranger, and a cache of World War I letters that tell a tale of doomed love and hint at a hidden treasure. It will take all of Dimity's supernatural skills to help Lori solve the puzzle and restore peace to a family haunted by its tragic past.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,063,944 books! | Top bar: Always visible