dismiss

Independence Day (1995)

by Richard Ford

Series: Frank Bascombe (2)

In this visionary sequel to The Sportswriter, Ford deepens his portrait of one of the most indelible characters in recent American fiction. In the aftermath of his divorce and the ruin of his career, Frank Bascombe now sells real estate, as he masters the high-wire act of "normalcy". But during the Fourth of July weekend, Frank is called into sudden, bewildering engagement with life.… (more)
Recently added byslugmanor, InstructorFlip, nelsam, private library, ebenizer, ksoni1, ctheiss63, Chrissylou62

This is one of the best books I ever read in my life. I read the Sportswriter and although the writing was exceptional and story engrossing, disliked Frank Bascombe for his shallow detachment. In this novel he is so much more real as he attempts to communicate his troubled son. The setting, in Cooperstown and Oneonta is very familiar to me and dead one accurate. His attempt to relate to his son made me cry. In the midst of an unbelievable tragedy, someone calls him by name, and takes care of him...comforting, caring, for him. This Chirst- figure is his long lost Jewish step brother, Irv, who imparts wisdom of continuity, which finally impels Frank out of his Existence period back into real life. ( )
  Chrissylou62 | Aug 1, 2020 |
Der 4. Juli 1988, das ist der Tag, an dem Frank Bascombe alles richtig machen will: seine Freundin besuchen, sich um seinen Sohn kümmern - doch es kommt mal wieder anders. Richard Fords Prosa kennzeichnet atmosphärische Dichte und eine atemberaubende Präzision bei der psychologischen Ausleuchtung seines Helden: Unabhängigkeitstag ist ein literarisches Meisterwerk, ein Meilenstein der Gegenwartsprosa.
  Fredo68 | May 14, 2020 |
Great novel by Richard Ford about a trip he takes with his alienated son
  JoshSapan | May 29, 2019 |
Interesting enough, it was a holiday weekend, an Easter in fact, which delineated this rather regal reading. I read most of this in Indianapolis while working. It was a quiet cafe which I recall as sullen. I am not sure as the reasons for. ( )
  jonfaith | Feb 22, 2019 |
Independence Day is a pastoral meditation on a man reaching middle age and assessing his place in life and the greater world. Although the reader has to be ready fand accepting of the experience.
  brendanus | Oct 15, 2018 |

Richard Fordprimary authorall editionscalculated
Koch, MarijkeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kristana
In Haddam, summer floats over tree-softened streets like a sweet lotion balm from a careless, langorous god, and the world falls in tune with its own mysterious anthems.
It's not true that you can get used to anything, but you can get used to much more than you think and even learn to like it.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,261,570 books! | Top bar: Always visible