Critique of Pure Reason (1781)

by Immanuel Kant

5,820341,434 (3.87)50
Metaphysicians have for centuries attempted to clarify the nature of the world and how rational human beings construct their ideas of it. Materialists believed that the world (including its human component) consisted of objective matter, an irreducible substance to which qualities and characteristics could be attributed. Mindthoughts, ideas, and perceptionswas viewed as a more sophisticated material substance. Idealists, on the other hand, argued that the world acquired its reality from mind, which breathed metaphysical life into substances that had no independent existence of their own.These two camps seemed deadlocked until Immanuel Kant's Critique of Pure Reason endeavored to show that the most accurate theory of reality would be one that combined relevant aspects of each position, yet transcended both to arrive at a more fundamental metaphysical theory. Kant's synthesis sought to disclose how human reason goes about constructing its experience of the world, thus intertwining objective simuli with rational processes that arrive at an orderly view of nature.… (more)
    The Bounds of Sense: An Essay on Kant's Critique of Pure Reason by P. F. Strawson (hbryant2)
    hbryant2: An influential interpretation of Kant's CPR.
    Suma contra los gentiles ; Suma de teología : textos selectos by Santo Tomás de Aquino (caflores)
    Introduction to Objectivist Epistemology: Expanded Second Edition by Ayn Rand (mcaution)
    mcaution: Providing a solution to the problem of universals, this historic work lays the foundation for the proper methods of knowledge.

English (25)  Spanish (4)  Catalan (3)  Norwegian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  French (1)  All languages (35)
12/7/21
  laplantelibrary | Dec 7, 2021 |
12/7/21
  laplantelibrary | Dec 7, 2021 |

I gave up on this about a quarter of the way in. Basically, Kant is not asking questions that I am interested in, nor answering them in a way that inclines me to take an interest. Wikipedia tells me that "Kant's goal was to find some way to derive cause and effect without relying on empirical knowledge." I can't see why anyone would want to do such a thing, and the almost complete separation of the subject matter from practical reality frustrated me (even though I do realise that this was largely the point). It was mildly interesting to see in his discussion of time and space some precursor to Einstein's conceptions of the same, but not interesting enough to keep me going. ( )
  nwhyte | Mar 16, 2020 |
Made my head hurt, but in a good way. ( )
1 vote easytarget | Feb 6, 2020 |
The Critique of Pure Reason by Immanuel Kant is a book that I have heard of for a pretty long time but never got around to reading. As the title states, Kant intends to examine the properties of reason itself. He splits the process of thinking into different spheres and attempts to demonstrate that there is a quality contained within all objects that make them intrinsically themselves. Kant’s line of reasoning is similar to that of Plato with his ideal shapes and ideas beyond physical reality. That table in your kitchen has an inherent “table-ness” to it. A quality that makes it a table without being the perfect table.

The version I have is a translation by J. M. D. Meiklejohn. Now in doing more research into this book, it seems that the translation is from 1855, but this book was printed in 1990. Since the translation is so dated, perhaps that explains why I could not get into this book at all. On the other hand, this book is rated pretty well, so there must be something there that I am missing. Therefore, I went and found a ton of summaries and lecture notes for the book. From these resources, it was easier to glean the meaning of what Kant was attempting to say.

I don’t know if this was a good introduction to Kantian Philosophy or to anything in general, but it was enjoyable to finally get this one under my belt and done with. Maybe if I find a better translation I will revisit this book and read it again. ( )
  Floyd3345 | Jun 15, 2019 |

Rolavs, AtisTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schmidt, RaymundEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Smith, Norman KempTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wood, Allen W.Editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In whatever mode, or by whatever means, our knowledge may relate to objects, it is at least quite clear, that the only manner in which it immediately relates to them, is by means of an intuition.
That all our knowledge begins with experience there can be no doubt. [Meiklejohn's translation of the second edition of Kant's Critique of Pure Reason]
The original German title is “Kritik der reinen Vernunft”.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,546,028 books! | Top bar: Always visible