The Bad Book Affair (2010)

by Ian Sansom

Israel Armstrong lends the library's copy of American Pastoral to a troubled teenage girl and soon she disappears. Israel thinks there may be a connection, but he needs figure out what it is and find the girl, all while dealing with the trauma of a breakup and his impending 30th birthday.

The protagonist, Israel Armstrong, is a very likeable character, harmless, except maybe to himself. There is plenty of local humour some of which may be a bit too close to the truth for comfort. Behind all the witty jabs there is a kernel of gravity. Sadly, I believe I have only one left unread in this series. In that one I hope Israel realizes that his landlady, George, is his perfect life partner. Sansom doesn't have a big following because it seems he writes for Northern Ireland readers. There are so many "local" connections, jokes, words, even mispronunciations, none of which are explained for anyone not in the know. Just knowing what they are talking about is a plus, and even this ex-pat didn't understand all the references. The story is a sort of satire, with an underlying serious message that is hard to pin down. I liked this one even more than the first one in the series. ( )
1 vote VivienneR | Feb 16, 2017 |
very light... amusing but insubstantial, which was what I needed at the time... ( )
  jkdavies | Jun 14, 2016 |
I thought this was a clever, intriguing book that I enjoyed very much. Of course I didn't think so at first. In the beginning I thought the main character Israel Armstrong was nothing but a man who needed to get a life. But as I continued reading I changed my mind, for how else is a Jewish, English vegetarian supposed to feel after breaking up with his girlfriend in the northern-most of Northern Ireland? Now I have to buy the rest of the books in the series. ( )

Belongs to Series

For my correspondents,
with all due respect
"Here we are, then," said George, opening the creaking, paint-flaking, hinge-rusted, wood-rotting, brace-and-ledge door to the former chicken coop that was now home to Israel Armstrong (BA, Hons.), certainly Tumdrum's and possibly Ireland's only English Jewish mobile librarian.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Ian Sansom's book The Bad Book Affair was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,635,648 books! | Top bar: Always visible