Alexander Hamilton: American (1999)

by Richard Brookhiser

Alexander Hamilton is one of the least understood, most important, and most impassioned and inspiring of the founding fathers. At last Hamilton has found a modern biographer who can bring him to full-blooded life; Richard Brookhiser. In these pages, Alexander Hamilton sheds his skewed image as the "bastard brat of a Scotch peddler," sex scandal survivor, and notoriously doomed dueling partner of Aaron Burr. Examined up close, throughout his meteoric and ever-fascinating (if tragically brief) life, Hamilton can at last be seen as one of the most crucial of the founders. Here, thanks to Brookhiser's accustomed wit and grace, this quintessential American lives again.… (more)

When I was young I had a mini crush on Hamilton. In spite of his flaws, I still do. :) ( )
  OutOfTheBestBooks | Sep 24, 2021 |
Interesting, because of its interesting subject. However, it could have been better written, especially the opening chapters. Hamilton was a man of ideas and words, and these are not coherently portrayed until late in the work. Ultimately, though, it is of great interest, with particularized, insightful portraits of Hamilton, Burr, Jefferson, Washington, Adams, Monroe and others. ( )
  oatleyr | Aug 22, 2020 |
Not a bad, short book on Hamilton's life, but I thought it started off far stronger than it ended. Richard Brookhiser has a nice, airy style early on, but as the book progressed, he got a bit more academic. I think too, that some of Hamilton's positions could've been fleshed out a bit more. ( )
  Jarratt | Jan 14, 2017 |
About half way through the book, I decided Mr. Brookhiser is not as enamored with Alexander Hamilton as he is with other Founders. I didn't find the same passion in his writing. Upon further reflection, I realized my interest was not as piqued with Mr. Hamilton as it is with other Founders.

I found that more and longer comparisons to other contemporaries of Mr. Hamilton were made. Frequently, other pen-friendly Founders earned several pages of coverage; often, nary a mention of our first Secretary of Treasury was made. This is understandable. Very little is known of Hamilton's youth and correspondence with his wife was burned by her after his death. Richard Brookhiser does note Hamilton as being the most prolific Founder, but his missives tended to be for the public consumption and topical not personal.

Alexander Hamilton could easily be the most interesting Founder. His story incorporated a shrewd mind for rights and governance with a healthy dose of licentiousness. He strove to institute a central bank that would entail more government involvement in personal life, but he was also an unabashed abolitionist. His death combined honor and illegality.

I appreciate this book for providing Hamilton's biography. I understand what I considered tangents, were necessary to provide social context. And I greatly enjoy Richard Brookhiser's matter-of-fact conveying information without excusing or admonishing his subject. My enthusiasm for this book waxed and waned, depending on what was being discussed at the time. ( )
1 vote HistReader | May 10, 2013 |
Alexander Hamilton for president!...JK, that jerk was a plutocrat ( )
  bjeans | Apr 3, 2013 |
For William Rusher

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 172,037,907 books! | Top bar: Always visible