Food Rules: An Eater's Manual

by Michael Pollan

From the bestselling author of "The Omnivore's Dilemma" and "In Defense of Food" comes this collection of simple, sensible, and easy to use rules--the perfect guide for anyone who would like to become more mindful of the food he or she eats. (Consumer Health).

English (100)  Spanish (1)  All languages (101)
This is a pithy little collection that provides lots of adages that will stick. The only thing that rubbed me the wrong way was bits of anti-fat bias that crept up occasionally...I know folks who abide by these rules better than I do who are heavier than I am. Weight and health are two different things. ( )
  LibroLindsay | Jun 18, 2021 |
Simple, straight-forward, and incredibly helpful. ( )
  Sarah220 | Jan 23, 2021 |
Simplified version of Pollan's other works, with lovely illustrations. It made me happy. ( )
  B_R_D | Dec 27, 2020 |
I was recommended Pollan's books as I am very interested in botany, and picked this one at random. It seemed like a good first choice, as it was a short and quick-looking read that covered a lot of different areas.

What I read was a logical fallacy ridden, anti-science self-help book. It presents some good advice---don't overdo high sugar foods---but also a ton of nonsense. Don't eat anything with preservatives! Vitamin C is a preservative, and last I checked, it was good for us. Don't eat anything with ingredients a 3rd grader can't pronounce! A 3rd grader would have difficulty pronouncing ascorbic acid, but its good for us (its vitamin C). Don't eat high-frustose corn syrup! And yet we are encouraged to eat fruits that naturally contain fructose, glucose, and sucrose (and some of which have more fructose than HFCS). Stay away from chemicals! Well...

This book is nothing but naturalistic fallacies and fad advice, with a healthy dollop of fear mongering. This book is no better than any other fad diet book. You might as well write a diet based on your astrological sign. ( )
  kaitlynn_g | Dec 13, 2020 |
A fun little book, the kind that's good to place in a bathroom or a doctors office for people to browse in leisure. I learned nothing new reading it- but these are fun ad useful bits to remind us to how to eat healthy. Very generalized "rules", like "eat mostly plants" or "eat only foods that will eventually rot", or "treat meat as a flavoring or special occasion food." ( )
  keithostertag | Oct 16, 2020 |
For my mother,
who always knew butter was better for you
than margarine
Eating in our time has gotten complicated---needlessly so, in my opinion.
"It's not food if it came from the window of your car."
"The banquet is in the first bite."
"If it came from a plant, eat it; if it was made in a plant, don't."
"Eat only foods that will eventually rot."
"Better to pay the grocer than the doctor."

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,025,478 books! | Top bar: Always visible